New Silvio = Amped!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I am amped up!
I just ordered my Silvio, that I have been pining after for quite some time, and just like VeloLev was (http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=606&p=4520#p4520) I am absolutely ramped up about it!

w00t!

JimParker

You can expect it on Thursday or Friday. Still planning on the SRAM Rival package? We are considering configuirng that on Maria's "World Record" Silvio. I was at a bike shop in Fayetteville, NC today and looked at a Rival package on a road bike... very nice. I like the double-tap technique. I am 6'2", but I tend to favor shorter cranks (easier on the knees, less interference with the bar). So, I might point you toward 170mm cranks rather than anything longer. The owner of the bike shop recommended the SRAM Rival compact double, saying it was about as good as a lot of triple chain-ring setups. He mentioned the jump from 34 to 50 teeth was pretty large and some folks had some trouble with that. I would still recommend the compact double for you if you have a lot of steep hills. If your hills aren't that steep, the SRAM Rival 39x53x170 crankset would be my top choice.

I could probably get the whole SRAM Rival package (braze-on FD, RD, brakes, double-tap shifters, crankset w/BB, 10s chain, and cassette) for about $600. Is that a good price?

I'm excited for you. You're going to be loving your new Silvio.

Jim

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Jim,

Quote: I could probably get the whole SRAM Rival package...for about $600. Is that a good price?
Yeah I think $600 is a good (even great) price.
The cheapest I have seen them on eBay (= maybe less than trustworthy) is $699 + $35 shipping for the 2009 new-in-box set.

Quote: Still planning on the SRAM Rival package?
Yes - the reason I chose Rival (in no particular order):
* "basically the same as" the Force package but cheaper
* can't afford the Red package.
* I like the SRAM corporate ethos (over Shimano) and there is a small pull to "buy american"
* my LBS told me that Campy stuff is "the best (and they know it)" but once you go Campy you are 100% campy and part of the reason for me wanting a Cruzbike is the "standardization" of parts - commuting or touring or in need of a part for the next day I don't want to have to rely on Campy stuff being available. Part of my problem with my Thunderbolt (among many others) is the non-standard arrangements that I can only get special order (especially high use stuff like the idler wheels and dinky tubes for the front wheel). So I figured, if I am going to try and be "standard" (or what passes for it in a recumbent) I may as well steer towards a more standards compliant group-set.
Nothing against Campy, I understand their stuff is "the best".
* SRAM has a distro warehouse 5 miles from my LBS so parts/maintenance/returns stuff will be easy.

Regarding the crank length - I have my LBS giving me a price on the Rival groupset but I haven't ordered it yet.
I may still go 170mm based on your (and other posters) recommendation. I kind of thought that getting the compact groupset at 50-34 it had to come with the 172.5mm crank arm.

I am glad I have the problem of deciding between 172.5mm and 170mm. :)

Quote: You can expect it on Thursday or Friday.
And I am going to be CAMPING next weekend starting Friday!!! I'll live.
My LBS said "bring us in a 1/2 rack of beer and we'll build it up together after hours!"

I will get build pics and share.

JimParker

If you want the SRAM Rival package for $600 (including shipping, a set of Gary bars, a Mirrycle rear view mirror, and a long cable for the rear brake), let me know. I can get it to you in about 10 days... if you can wait that long :) . My supplier sometimes runs out of specific components, but I should be able to get almost any variant of the Rival package for that price. Let me know what crankset you want, and which are your top two picks for cassette clusters: 11x25, 12x25, 11x23, 11x26, 12x26, 12x27, and 11x28. This is a new offer, based on what I am hearing and seeing about SRAM. Until further notice, I'll leave this a standing offer for anyone purchasing a Silvio frameset.

Jim