new silvio ergonomics questions

jeebus

I started to make a long writeup on my initial impressions of the silvio vs my strada, but I'm not sure why my initial impressions would matter. Better to wait till I'm more capable on it.

So I'll just stick to questions.

My biggest ergonomic question right now on the silvio concerns finger joint and elbow soreness. I'm not pushing/pulling super hard on the handlebars the whole time, but I am putting some pressure on them constantly.

I think the elbow soreness comes from keeping my elbows tucked in close to my body. So How do other people ride? Elbows out? Do any of the other popular bar choices put the hands in a better position for keeping elbows in?

And should I start trying to come up with a better hand position for less finger stress or will the amount of arm input I use decrease over time?

And a mechanical questions too: I'm going to order q-rings, so what tool do I need to get this thing off? The large ring is attached to 5 bolts on the right crank, and the other two rings are similarly attached to the big ring. And the right crank is held on to the bike I assume by that silver thing that must unscrew. Based on various nicks on it, I'm guessing the previous owner put it on with a big set of pliars. Is that an okay way to go or is there some tool that would work better?
63_a8b4a4fed3eed13a6667b9b4ad887941

Topologically it's possible to remove and replace the chainrings without taking the right crank off, but I'd be surprised if it was actually possible to slip anything smaller than the largest ring over it like that.

And here's another picture showing my current handlebar position in case it's relevant to my previous question on ergonomics.
63_ccfdae17e86b66143083f230eee06f9e

My hands are probably somewhat low on the handlebars, so I reach up just a hair with my index finger for shifting and braking.

- Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Regarding finger and joint pain: I never really went through that with my Silvio, but I sure did on my conversion. I was trying to emulate the Superman position and I was over-reaching, I think. Not too much from "normal" recumbents really translate well to Cruzbikes. They seem to be their own critter. I'd switch to the WTB bar, or the Origin 8. I think you'll find that by rotating your wrists slightly, it really helps and the increased room for you knees goes without saying. I think you'll notice a big-time difference with just that little change.

You will not need to remove the bottom bracket, just the cranks. Your arrow looks to be pointing to the bottom bracket outboard bearing thingy. You will need a crank removal tool for your specific type. Taking the chanirings loose from the crank requires an allen wrench and a chainring nut wrench.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You might want just sit on the bike and start adjusting the bars and TFT. I kind of keep my elbows out and never have any finger pain. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: You might want just sit on the bike and start adjusting the bars and TFT. I kind of keep my elbows out and never have any finger pain. Jack

Good point... I did that when I set mine up. I sat on the bike and leaned myself up against something, then spun my pedals. I set it to where I had the leg extension I wanted and dropped my bar down to where I had knee clearance, but not too overly much. Like Jack said, my elbows are bent comfortably, hands below my shoulder level.

Mark