New Silvio in stock

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
As requested here are the photos of the new edition Silvio. As usual I have found some areas to improve. This time, I have radically reduced the size of the shipping box so it is below the size that triggers the OS1 rating. This means we can ship now direct from Taiwan instead of via the US and so reduces the lead time for the new product by 6 to 8 weeks. So you get the new features 2 months ahead of time. The smaller size helps our warehousing and distribution options in lots o fother ways which are important for the business but not so important for the customer, except for being able to get hold of the bike, that is.

So, to the photos, all pretty explanatory, or so I hope.
This is the box you will receive.
DSCN3806M.JPG

Slide the entire contents out:
DSCN3807M.JPG

Spread the contents out:
DSCN3808M.JPG

Unwrap so you can see what the items are:
DSCN3809M.JPG width: 1296px; height: 972px;

Rearrange to see where parts go:
DSCN3810M.JPG

Pull the small parts out of their bag:
DSCN3811M.JPG

Arrange the parts as follows here:
DSCN3812M.JPG

The tricky bit is assembling the rear suspension, it goes like this:
DSCN3813M.JPG

Here's what it is like assembled, refer to the printed directions.
DSCN3819M.JPG

Here is some of the tools you will need, 5, 4, 3 and 2mm allen keys/ hex head wrenches.
DSCN3818M.JPG

fthills

Great pics .That all looks

Great pics .That all looks terrific. I love the curved boom on the V and its great to see it transferred to the Silvio . Gives it a sleek new look and the front boom looks much simplified. I'm glad you didn't modify the rear triangle ,its such a comfortable ride.
John are you going to have a rest soon ? You've been a powerhouse of invention and development in the last few years.
Well done and congratulations.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
a technology suite

thanks fthills,
There is another major improvement I want to make to complete the technology suite, then people are pushing me for a tilting trike, which I have at a dimensioned, conceptual design level, but i don't have production drawings yet.

Glad the pictures are looking clear. Did you notice the bottle opener in the last? :)

fthills

Yep I can now but,  ....can't

Yep I can now but, ....can't quite see the brand on the bottle top
regular_smile.gif

Bit off topic for the Silvio thread but I'll ask anyway.. is tilting an advantage for cornering in trikes, is that the reason for development ?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Trikes are low for stability,

Trikes are low for stability, if you want to be higher for visibility then you need a wide wide track, or a tilting solution.

Romagjack

major improvement tocomplete the technology suite

The suspense is too much. Can you give us a clue?

hyp05fxdl

I'm really in lust now

Very Nice! - looking forward to ordering one in the near future then catching up with Rick (aka Ted) later this summer/fall.

gilpeel2002

Silvia due

Looks great, I like the way the seat attaches. That is the key to the smaller box I'll bet. Keep up the great work. I think you are now achieving critical mass.

mickjordan

Suitacse pack

I was intrigued with the detachable seat whether it might now be possble to get the disassembled bike into a standard airline regulation sized suitcase, such as the one I use for my DF bike. It's 26x10x10 (inches). It all depends on the distance from the head of the steering tube to the top of the rear tube. It might just fit diagonally. That would be way cool!

Mick

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
32 x 19 1/2 x 6, is the box

32 x 19 1/2 x 6, is the box size.

You ask if the hypotenuse of a triangle 26 x 10 is greater than 32. Unfortunately, it is 27.8" :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
about 7 days

I think we will start shipping this week, they take about 7 days to arrive. Email me at john@cruzbike.com if you want to discuss any aspect of your ideal Silvio. If you were buying, would you go for the Ultegra or the Sram Rival groupset?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Great Improvements John! I

Great Improvements John! I really love the new detachable seat pans!

My wishes for this bike; What if one day you had two Silvio versions;

Silvio Standard - 45 deg backrest
Silvio Race - 33 deg Backrest

Everything else remains the same. That ingeneous suspension is second to none!!!!

Wi sh I had the money for this bike !!!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Oh, and by the way, it would

Oh, and by the way, it would be nice to have updated official product photos for the Silvio on the cruzbike site. The current ones refer to the old models. Once again, great bike and greate work John!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
 I will close my eyes and

tounge_smile.gif
I will close my eyes and imagine that you are drawing a Silvio-Race edition that will one day beat the roadies on a cobbled le-tour stage!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I really like the new

I really like the new frame.

I was a little shocked to see the removable seat, but on the other hand, why not? As somebody already mentioned, this does open up options as far as packing the bike for road trips. I can see where it would be a good thing.

I really, really like the looks of the new front end and when a retrofit front end becomes available for the V1 Silvios, I'd like to raise my hand right away. My only concern is the stalk mount for the front derailleur, but I know it's been proven on the Vendetta. I know I was a little squeamish about the "rear" dropout and that's proven to be a non-issue, so I trust John in these types of things. Besides, I have an appreciation for people that think outside the box.

What's with the tube passing through the internal cable routing? Is that supposed to stay in even after the cables are routed, or is it only to serve as a guide? Great idea; I know fishing the cable through the frame was no joke when I helped Tom build his Silvio.

These are such cool bikes and they've really come a long way. I sure do love mine.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
to facilitate cable threading

Thanks Mark,

the tube is to facilitate cable threading. Remove once threaded, but reinstall before 'dethreading' the cable, see?

kidneyboy

The idea of a Silvio race

The idea of a Silvio race edition is really intriguing. More aero and still suspended. Maybe a tad less expensive than the V.