New Sram XX1 (1 x 11 with 42 cassette) work on the Silvio??

BobD

I am incredibly psyched, as I will start building my V2/K bike this weekend.....gathered all of the parts and extra tools today.

I am hoping that I will resonate with the ride of this bike, as I would love to consider purchasing a Silvio in the future. So, I am already thinking about components.

Does anyone know if the new Sram XX1with the 1x drivetrain with a 10-42 cassette would work fine with the Silvio? It would surely lighten up the bike: less rings, cable, shifter, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts...
Bob

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
That could be a nice combo on

That could be a nice combo on any bike, provided your circumstances do not require a wider range. Hills, personal weight, fitness, strength, all influence gearing choices. Around me, its flatish, any steep grades are pretty short. I'm under 70kg, reasonably fit by riding once or twice a week and have always been strong for my body weight I guess. I am happy for general riding with 8 or 9 speeds on a 300% spread. For sporty riding, holding my highest continual effort, I like closely spaced gears, with the same spread, so I use a compact double and a pretty tight ratio 10 speed freewheel.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
SRAM WiFli

I personally am leaning toward the WiFli concept, but I imagine that with 11 cogs and the right ring up front, you could get many of the gears you need without the potential (near) overlap of a double. It's an interesting concept, indeed and I'd like to see it in action. I wonder if the 10T cog might run the chain too close to the fork legs of the Silvio. Probably not, but I just wonder.

BobD

Figuring out configurations....

Good points to ponder for sure!
Fortunately I have some time before I go forth and need to definitively figure out gearing for a Silvio. I have always tended to go with triples....but perhaps with the wider 11-36 Sram cassette a double may be equal the possibilities with a triple? Will see.

John, how long does it take for a Silvio to be shipped once ordered?

I made some good progress today on my VK/2 frame. Unfortunately, I will have to stop by a few shops tomorrow to find a different fork. This one has too much "irregular stuff" along the forks.

Hope to get far enough along tomorrow in the build to at least do some gliding!!!
Bob

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
More Aesthetic than a Configuration Issue..

But I would love to build up a Silvio with these components.
Gruppo_white_heaven.jpg height: 455px;

6991_0.jpg height: 504px;

I think the black frame and white components would be an interesting juxtaposition, but if you could ever find a rare white Silvio, this would be an pretty sharp combination also.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
These shifters have the brake

These shifters have the brake cable under teh bar tape and the gear cable looping. Can be done, but not as clean as having both under the tape, ala sram and ultegra. But microshift value is pretty good.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I know...I currently have the

I know...I currently have the previous generation Ultegra group, so even if I stick with what I have, I will still have the looping shift cables. Like you said, it's not as clean, but I can live with it. The Silvio looks sharp configured just about any way I've seen.