New T50 Build

super slim

Zen MBB Master
After learning how to pedal & steer the Cruzbike, learning how to climb hills is the next learning curve.
This has been my personal experience and my observation when introducing others to the FWD, MMB platform.
I think some of the problem is initial reluctance to commit oneself to utilizing the arms in addition to the legs when confronting a climb.
It took me a little while to get the hang of climbing on a Cruzer - learning how to hold a straight line (more or less) while applying maximum power to the pedals and yet controlling the steering by applying counter force to the bars.

Ah, but when it all comes together it's like magic!
You need to do the Ratz training routine, to speed up your learning curve!
https://cruzbike.com/learn-to-ride.html

Tuloose

Guru
I don't see any instructional video on climbing technique.
Actually I don't see how a video would be of much help.
I think climbing prowess develops when one becomes comfortable with the bike and is able to put full power to the pedals and still keep steering in a straight line.
Practice, practice, practice!

I let a friend borrow my Silvio 1.0.
He eventually got the hang of riding on flat surfaces but when it came to a short, steep climb he floundered part way up.
I got him to try it over & over and he was eventually able to just barely get to the top.
He's still on the fence about purchasing a CB though.
When we ride together he gets a bit envious when he sees how much faster I am (before I had a CB, back when I was riding a Lightning P-38, he was faster than me).

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I have both (Silvio and P38), and the Silvio S30 is better until around 20% grades, at which point the P38 is better because the rear (drive) wheel doesn't slip.

I find on all but those 20%+ grades the S30 performs about as well as my diamond frame at my current fitness level (ymmv).

Part of this is that I'm more fresh for the uphill due to a more comfortable and efficient ride all other places.

Last edited:

rhoffman

Ride number two is complete. Didn't have a lot of time, but took an opportunity to do a neighborhood tour. It felt much more comfortable from the get-go. Hopped on the bike in the garage and coasted down the driveway and once I hit the road pedaled away. I went down the hill and felt very much in control, but did slow down twice. This bike feels so fast, it is great! Rode through the neighborhood with no issues freely shifting to handle hills and even tried to be conscience of pulling on the bars when pedaling up hill. It felt awkward, so I will continue to work on that. I really like the 1x12 Eagle GX set up with the Sram grip shift. Everything feels so fluid on this bike. No issues on the ride, just learning the bike and balancing with the different center of gravity and steering torque from pedaling. I enjoyed the process of building from a frameset and would recommend it as a great learning experience. As I get to longer rides and learn new things and feel more comfortable, I will post updates.

rhoffman

Ride number three. I rode to the local elementary school to get some more time riding and practice my figure eights. Ride was fine until I hit a section of path that runs along a main road on the way to the school. It was uphill and zig-zagged through trees. Ugh it was so hard to stay on the path while trying to keep up speed. Turned into a fail as I had to stop and couldn't get started again. I ended up walking the bike up hill until I was back in the neighborhood area. Once at the school, I rode in the parking lot and started my figure eights practicing. It was very smooth as I did a half dozen in each direction making sure to pedal during the turns and making some tight, some wider, some fast, some slower. On the way home, I managed to coast through the zig-zag of trees at a pretty slow speed. Zig-zagging is probably the hardest part of my riding so far. All went well during the rest of the ride home.

Thanks for hanging out with me during the build process and my early stages of learning to ride. If anyone has any questions about my experience, let me know.

Thanks!

Randy