New(to me) S40, first mbb, first ride in 18 months. What could possibly go wrong?

K7baixo

I purchased a used S40 last week and it arrived last night. I did a quick peek into the box last night and this morning, unpacked and performed a quick inspection. All good!

Using the Cruzbike S40 assembly video, I reassembled it. That phase went fairly well, thank goodness for the video. Occasionally, something wasn't totally clear but, I figured out everything evemtually. After lunch, I followed the S40 fit video and that seemed to go well.

After just over a decade on Bacchetta bikes, I knew this was going to a different ride. I had emailed myself the steps from one of the “learn to ride” posts on this site so I could reference them along the way. Against my better judgement, I did the initial coast downs on our gravel driveway. Ain’t gonna lie, it was …..interesting. No drops though.

I moved to our little county road which has new chip-seal and walked up the slight, gentle incline towards our neighbors. I did a couple of coast-downs with me feet on the pedals to our driveway and then a few more trying some gentle, sweeping turns, mindful of the rocks left after the recent chip-seal refresh.

After a few repeats, I kept going past our driveway about a quarter mile, down a small hill and tried to pedal up the next hill. I made it about halfway up, did a feet-assisted turnaround and went back down. When I hit the next little hill, I kept pedaling all the way up to our driveway. There were times when I felt like my arms were fighting my feet for control as I pedaled. My brain will have to help them figure it out. I just want to ride.

First impressions? It’s a little scary. I always felt pretty much in-control enough to do large, fast group rides in Arizona on the Bacchetat. We relocated and I haven’t ridden in 18 months…and the first ride is on this strange, new bike. I’ll work a little more each day to build up my confidence and we’ll see where this bike takes me!

Bosch, our young vizsla, approves. It was his first exposure to any bike!

898862C6-8845-4004-A1B6-7EB2E2F9C042.jpeg

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
My first ride on my V20 was seven years ago, and it was terrifying. I wobbled so much I'm pretty sure I did seven miles on a six mile road. Today, the V is my cycling drug of choice.

It sounds like you're well on your way. Enjoy the ride, as it gets better and better.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Wretched abominable contraption. My language was a lot worse than that. In the street. At the top of my voice. But when they stole it I had to get a new one. You are progressing fast. Already you do not hate it.

K7baixo

Wretched abominable contraption. My language was a lot worse than that. In the street. At the top of my voice. But when they stole it I had to get a new one. You are progressing fast. Already you do not hate it.

Nah…long-time, older recumbent rider so adapting to this new platform is the goal now.

I didn’t ride yesterday. I had a ditch-witch dig a trench from the house to my little shop, and laid cable to power the shop. Holy smokes, darn near killed myself. I went on-strike after lunch and refused to work anymore.

Today‘s a new day! I got about half the trench filled back in and didn’t wear myself out. Watched a football game and once it became a lost cause, went for a short ride.

Sure, it was only 2.2 miles but I didn’t have any real issues. I think that I need to put the pedals from the old bike on the new one to keep my feet better planted with real cycling shoes, not sneakers. Feet flying off was a small issue today. Maybe tomorrow I’ll drive to the jr college that’s 7 miles away. That’s the closest large parking lot and I’d like to practice figure 8 and turns.

Baby steps!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Agree! 13 years ago, it was like re-learning to ride a bicycle. Welcome to the family and enjoy the next adventures!
Wait until you go over a bridge... Holly crap... its an adrenalin pump

K7baixo

First ride of the year. But wait…..

When my S40 was assembled by me, I had the dreaded creak in the front end. After triple checking that everything was greased, snug and correct twice, I gave up and took it to a local bike shop just before Christmas.

After a false repair and a log wait due to the holidays, I picked it up creak-free. They stated that the derailleur was likely the culprit since it had a little give in the hanger area. They fashioned a washer and apparently that took the play and noise out of it. That was after they also took everything apart and reassembled it. Charge: $25. Worth double that to me so I did. Lol

This was maybe my seventh ride but, it went smoothly. Got my power meter pedals installed, gps and hr strap all working as they should. It was only 10 miles under very windy conditions.

He wasn’t impressed.

2F8487FF-6A84-4EE9-AC31-2BF1AA57F50C.jpeg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Until they get comfortable with the bike maybe staying in the back of the group is best for a bit initially unless you know them really well, and ride with them often, and have a bit of experience in riding in close proximity to other riders.

K7baixo

Until they get comfortable with the bike maybe staying in the back of the group is best for a bit initially unless you know them really well, and ride with them often, and have a bit of experience in riding in close proximity to other riders.

You bet!

On my previous recumbent and location, I’ll swear it took years before I was accepted into the group.…and I miss them now as much as they miss me.

New group, new part of the US. The Saturday morning group advertises a 12 mph average with several regroup stops. I’m pushing 14-15 at the present. The layoff killed me but, it is what it is. I’m getting more comfortable with every ride.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
You should be able to get at least some of it back. Sadly, it gets harder to do as we age. I slacked a bit the past couple of months after reaching my latest goal, but a concentrated effort, proper recovery and diet/supplementation helped tons recently.