New V20 Owner

DDay

I've ridden Bacchettas for years, my current bike is a CA 2.0. I just got a new to me V20 and finished adjusting the boom to fit my legs- I'm 6'2" and all legs.

I noticed the BB dropped in height quite a bit when I adjusted the boom. Riding around, I noticed that my body position is less horizontal than on my CA 2.0. I'm worried this will slow me down- more frontal area aerodynamically. Has anyone else seen this? Or did I do something wrong?

I noticed also that the handlebars could be lower near my body- is it advisable to remove some of the headset spacers to lower the handlebars?

See the pic attached.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20200621_175612.jpg
    20200621_175612.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
looks like the stock chainstay length. send an email to CruzBike requesting info on the Med or Large chainstay.
I'm 6" and upgraded to the Med and love it. You will probably want the large. This will also move the bars closer to your body too.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I've ridden Bacchettas for years, my current bike is a CA 2.0. I just got a new to me V20 and finished adjusting the boom to fit my legs- I'm 6'2" and all legs.

I noticed the BB dropped in height quite a bit when I adjusted the boom. Riding around, I noticed that my body position is less horizontal than on my CA 2.0. I'm worried this will slow me down- more frontal area aerodynamically. Has anyone else seen this? Or did I do something wrong?

I noticed also that the handlebars could be lower near my body- is it advisable to remove some of the headset spacers to lower the handlebars?

See the pic attached.

Thanks for the help!
Yes, you will most likely need a med or large chainstay - I would guess the large for you since you say you are all legs. Also you can remove the spacers to bring your headtube (and handlebars) down some. I would also ask for the curved slider: this will in effect drop the handlebars more into you lap. I would say with all these things you will be as aero as you can for 6'2".
What length cranks were you riding on your CA? Many Cruzbikers also drop about 20mm off their crank length. This also reduces your frontal area a lot with no real loss of power. I ride 140-150mm cranks and love them.
The real key if to have the top of your toes about the height of the top of your shoulders. That seems to work well aerodynamically.
Good luck experimenting.
Let us know how it goes for you!
Larry

DDay

Thanks for the advice! I'll get to work and let ya'll know. I made a few laps around the hood today in the bike and started retraining the brain.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
larry can ride a bike with his feet up by his ears, so he doesn't count. LOL

i am 6'1" 34 inseam, and i use the std stay with a curved slider. i also ride with my arms slightly bent

DDay

Took the V20 out for a ride on the open rode. Readjusted the pedal-tube length, after that the bike felt more stable. I had the pedals adjusted out too far.
Lessons learned- when freewheeling its best to keep your feet at 12 and 6 o-clock, less wobble. On my CA 2.0 I was used to spinning 90-100 RPM to generate torque- the V20 doesn't seem to like this- or I haven't learned to do it yet.
I don't feel real secure going downhill- feels like the bike is going to get away from me.
Need more practice! gotta retrain the brain, a lot of my bad habits I learned on the Bacchetta do not work on the V20!
I does seem to motor up hills pretty well- I suppose because of the reduced drive train friction. The CA 2.0's chain would make lots of noise under torque. The V20 is really quiet. Less noise=more speed.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I’m also 6’1” w 34” inseam and crank position on my V is about the same as yours. I have the standard chain stay and curved slider. Tried a longer chain stay it it moved my feet too high and drastically reduced stability. I’m running 155mm cranks compared to 172.5 on my DFs. Huge improvement on the knees.

Reactions: 3bs

benphyr

Guru-me-not
... On my CA 2.0 I was used to spinning 90-100 RPM to generate torque- the V20 doesn't seem to like this- or I haven't learned to do it yet...
Probable option B - not used to it yet. At first it is easier to control with pedalling at lower rpm because your brain has more time to react. Ince you are reprogrammed the ideal rpm will creep back towards what it is/was on the old bike. (The above is my hypothesis. )

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i spin mid 80's most of the time.

down hill has always been my challenge as well. i am finally in mid 30's without much anxiety. the more i ride the better it is, but also making sure to keep my eyes on the horizon or at least really far ahead. and i am not a fan of crosswinds at speed.

on an upright my max comfort zone was just over 40. on trikes its mid 50's.

DDay

So the stock rim brakes seem like low quality- what kind of rim brake do ya'll recommend as an upgrade? I'm running tubless wheels and tires.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i would change pads before i changed brakes. almost any modern brake is fine. but pads get hard, get old and get glazed. sometimes just sanding off the glaze makes the new again.
i have 30 year old 105's that work just fine on the bike they are on.

DocS

Guru
Sounds like another Bacchetta convert! I thought I loved the Bacchetta until I found Cruzbike. I'm so happy that I found Cruzbike and ended up with a Vendetta :)

Icebecker

I’m a Bacchetta CA 3.0 rider and I’m ready to try either a V20 or the S40. I would get the S40 but I’m concerned about the seat angle as I’m used to riding at 25-27 degrees. I like the idea of the MBB but I’m not sure which way to go. I’ve seen the threads on seat modification but it seems a bit difficult for the V20. Does anyone have experience with the wedge? Is it better to get the Thor seat to obtain a higher seat angle? I like speed and climbing but when I put the seat down too low I am bothered by reflux(one of the curses of being a baby boomer).

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I'd recommend V20 with the Thor seat. It and the stock seat set your torso at about the same angle but the Thor seat rolls your shoulders and head forward a bit. The difference for me is that i find it easier to climb/sprint and produce power in the Thor seat. Also, I can ride the V a long way with the Thor seat without a head/neck rest whereas with the stock seat I wouldn't recommend going any farther than to the corner to pick up a bottle of milk. Both seats have their fans. Having both a V and an S I can say that there's a huge difference in handling between the S and V if both have the stock seat with the S being considerably easier to handle. The difference narrows considerably with the Thor seat on the V. If I were an aero wizard I'd opt for the V with the stock seat but then I'm a wimp of a decender so that becomes secondary for me.

Icebecker

I'd recommend V20 with the Thor seat. It and the stock seat set your torso at about the same angle but the Thor seat rolls your shoulders and head forward a bit. The difference for me is that i find it easier to climb/sprint and produce power in the Thor seat. Also, I can ride the V a long way with the Thor seat without a head/neck rest whereas with the stock seat I wouldn't recommend going any farther than to the corner to pick up a bottle of milk. Both seats have their fans. Having both a V and an S I can say that there's a huge difference in handling between the S and V if both have the stock seat with the S being considerably easier to handle. The difference narrows considerably with the Thor seat on the V. If I were an aero wizard I'd opt for the V with the stock seat but then I'm a wimp of a decender so that becomes secondary for me.
Thanks! What seat angle is obtainable with the Thor? Is the install straightforward?

jerry

DocS

Guru
I've only ridden my Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta with the stock Cruzbike seat, but recently ordered a Thor Carbon Fiber seat/Ventist pad. Because of the Covid thing, it's going to be a while until I get it...

I'm actually pretty comfortable on the stock seat, but want a little better lumbar support. I did put some foam in my ventist pad to "create" a little more support in the lumbar area...

My suggestion is to get a Vendetta and try it out for a while. You can add a wedge if you need it later, or can add some molding under the seat to increase the seating angle if needed...

Blessings,
DocS

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Just for clarification: the stock Cruzbike carbon fibre seats on the V20 and S40 are designed to be supported by the matching frame and can not be wedged up.

A Thor or other separate carbon seat has ribs that support and allow the seat back to support/maintain its shape with connection points in the seat pan and a second in the seat back. See Thor mounting instructions: http://www.thorseat.eu/en/how-to-fit-seat-to-recumbent-bike/

Basically the Thor connects at a reinforced small area below the bum and a second spot behind the shoulder blades and does not need any further support but the Cruzbike seat needs continuous support of the frame for the seat and a good portion of the back.