On the Quest front shock bottoming out

Vargas

My Quest 2.0 white logo front shock was bottoming out. Very unpleasant to hear and feel that "clank".
Following this thread:
http://cruzbike.com/quest-2-front-shock-adjustable
advises I removed the steering column and found the round plug inside the fork.
DSCN3878.JPG height:675px;

The round plug was easily removed with an allen tool, and I found this spring inside.
Mola%20Garfo%202.jpg  width:525px

Actually a half spring and half plastic cap - wonder what for this hard plastic piece and not a single longer spring.
Although the fork without the spring travels 2.5 cm, the spring only compresses close to 1.5 cm.
So I had a new spring made, longer and a little bit harder than the original white one.
DSCN3879.JPG height:535px; width:548px

No more bottoming out and a great ride.
The spring was custom made; it measures 65 mm, has a wire of 3.8 mm and the inner diameter is the same as the original white one. Because the 3.8 mm wire is thicker than the original one, the outer diameter is slightly bigger than the original but still fits nicely into the fork tube.
The spring cost US$18.

billyk

Guru
Does this work for the blue-white logo Q2?

JT or anyone else who knows: The fork on the blue-white shaded logo Quest 2 is different. But will a method like this work for those Quests, too? I'd give it a try if so.

Thanks ... Billy K

lalbander

where to get the spring

I also have terrible bottoming out and would like this conversion.
Rather than having a new spring built, would it be easier just to discard the piece of black plastic and substitute it for another stock Cruzbike spring, I.E. two springs in series.