Origin 8 bars

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Ordered these bars on friday and they were on my porch on sat.Its too hot for a ride today so will give them a shakedown tomorrow.Did do a few rides and they feel pretty good a lot different then the narrow bars. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Jack,

I think you're going to love them, they work really well for me. I think I'm going to get another one for my conversion bike.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Did a 15 mi ride with the new bars today. Rode my usual route so I could get a good idea how they work. Had the 44 cm for 1200 miles so the bike did feel different with the 58s.One thing is im getting more power fron the upper body. Picked up about 2 mph going up hills easy and steeper ones. Going around switch backs is about the same. For me they were a good change. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: Did a 15 mi ride with the new bars today. Rode my usual route so I could get a good idea how they work. Had the 44 cm for 1200 miles so the bike did feel different with the 58s.One thing is im getting more power fron the upper body. Picked up about 2 mph going up hills easy and steeper ones. Going around switch backs is about the same. For me they were a good change. Jack

That's great news, thanks for the update.

Perhaps the best thing about the Origin 8 is the price! You can't complain about $25!

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: Did a 15 mi ride with the new bars today. Rode my usual route so I could get a good idea how they work. Had the 44 cm for 1200 miles so the bike did feel different with the 58s.One thing is im getting more power fron the upper body. Picked up about 2 mph going up hills easy and steeper ones. Going around switch backs is about the same. For me they were a good change. Jack

That does it, Jack. They will have to be standard issue from now on. Thanks for excellent benchmarked report. :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Per Nanda's request, here are more pics of my Origin 8 bars. You can scroll up and down to compare mine to Jacks.

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

This is the tell-tale angle, looking straight down at the pedal

IMG_0801.jpg

And coming back from the pedal up.

IMG_0805.jpg

Mark

Nanda H.

Mission accomplish pilot Mark...time for the de-briefing. Are you able to can pull hard on the angled portion, or do you grab further up where the shifters are? Just thinking if I switch to Ultegra STI's that the cable which exits on the inside of the shifter would head straight for the knee area, so the WTB bars might be a better solution as the STI's can be run with a more vertical orientation. Guess I'll order both, then try the Dura Ace barcons in the ends of the Gary bar, and maybe on some Paul thumbies up on the flat, and then some STI's if plan A and B are a dud.

Mark what shifters are those? Reason I ask is my Shimano Ultegra shifters have the shift cable popping out the sides at a perfect 90 degree, with the drastic angle of your bars I can't see this Origin 8 bars working out for people with my shifters because it the cables will want to bend into the area where your knees are. I don't have this problem luckily with my WTB Mountain Road bar.

Nanda H.

Brian Lewis wrote: Mark what shifters are those? Reason I ask is my Shimano Ultegra shifters have the shift cable popping out the sides at a perfect 90 degree, with the drastic angle of your bars I can't see this Origin 8 bars working out for people with my shifters because it the cables will want to bend into the area where your knees are. I don't have this problem luckily with my WTB Mountain Road bar.

Excatly my concern Brian. Check out the top photo of DefJacks setup, which looks like Shimano STI's with the cable angling high and inward, likely clearing the knee box/envelope.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Brian Lewis wrote: Mark what shifters are those? Reason I ask is my Shimano Ultegra shifters have the shift cable popping out the sides at a perfect 90 degree, with the drastic angle of your bars I can't see this Origin 8 bars working out for people with my shifters because it the cables will want to bend into the area where your knees are. I don't have this problem luckily with my WTB Mountain Road bar.

I've got Campy Mirage shifters.

Jack seems to have no troubles with the cables coming out the side of the shifters. In looking at it, I think the cables are high enough, it would be no trouble.

I'm ordering the same bar for my conversion, except I'll run Paul Thumbies on it.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Nanda H. wrote: Are you able to can pull hard on the angled portion, or do you grab further up where the shifters are?
I never really thought about it, but I pretty much grip the bar right below the shifters. All my controls are an easy reach from there. When I get aggressive, I belive I grab higher, with the crook of my hand in the drop. I'm able to get great leverage, but I have nothing to compare to. Jack said he gained 2 mph over a known course, that's all I have to go by. The only thing I can say is; I'm definitely happy with the purchase.

I originally ordered the WTB bar. I ended up with the Origin 8 solely by virtue of my LBS trying to keep me happy. The price was right, I liked the bar in the shop and after installing and riding them, I love them. I can see where the WTB could be better in some ways. The STI cable running out the side is perhaps the biggie, but Jack apparenly isn't bothered by it. Leaning the bike against something is a challenge because of the brake lever protruding like it does. In the event of a crash, I suspect the brake lever on that side will be toast. But, I have no intentions of crashing and I have adapted as far as leaning the bike. Like I said, I'm happy with the Origin 8. I'm sure I could be very happy with the WTB bar, as well. I sure as heck am happy with the money I saved, it more than paid for my derailleur repair!

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You can pull plenty hard on these bars.I think the Silvio design gets rid of a lot of stem flex so there is no wasted power. I have Ultegra brifters note that I used a foam pad to run the shift cables a little higher. Not pretty but works for now. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: You can pull plenty hard on these bars.I think the Silvio design gets rid of a lot of stem flex so there is no wasted power.

I agree. I can pull myself up to a super closed position with these bars, too, another plus.

Mark