Packing Q45 in bike box with minimal disassembling

Giloun

When I packed for my tour in Korea a few months ago, I used this approach with minimal disassembling.
The internal size of the bike box: 138 x 22 x 79cm.
I take advantage of the hinge at swing arm and split the bike into halves. I kept both wheels intact in order to minimize disassembling. Of course the seat was removed at the quick releases and kept in one piece. Quick release pedals were also removed. The other parts which tools were used were the handle-bar and the top-tube. I used reusable zip-ties to keep the 2 halves together in one "rigid" piece. The bike went in the box and then the seat was put on top and that was it, more or less. Even the fenders/mudguards were not removed.
Since I did not remove the wheels and there was no adjustment needed when reassembled.
Apart from ease of disassembling and reassembling, some of the advantages of this method are:
The disc brakes are better protected by being kept inside the "rigid" piece.
The wheels and tires can act as cushion for the bike just as they are designed to.
I hope the photograph below is self-explanatory and will give you some idea:
IMG_20190226_224847.jpg

Last edited:

vic4hse

Thanks for the good idea? Where did you find a box of that size? I'm having trouble finding that box.
Thanks in advance!

Giloun

Thanks for the good idea? Where did you find a box of that size? I'm having trouble finding that box.
Thanks in advance!
I bought it from a cardboard shop in HK. They have special size box tailored for transportation of bicycle.

How did you separate the two halves? I tried and was able to remove the recessed bolt, but still could not separate the front and back pieces

Giloun

How did you separate the two halves? I tried and was able to remove the recessed bolt, but still could not separate the front and back pieces

Loosen the bolt without totally removing it, then push the bolt gently to loosen and remove the "shaft" (dark grey) of the other side. (I hope I can explain it better.) The shaft divides into left and right parts. Anyway, the grey part needs to be removed, by pushing or pull it away. The bolt is actually holding the grey parts together. After removing one side, use a large diameter allen to push the other side out.
20220816_000702.jpg

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Related question...I am also guessing you don't need to the bolt out to just fold the bike to package it? Obviously I have not tried it. :) My bike came fully assembled, so I don't know how it looked before.

Giloun

Related question...I am also guessing you don't need to the bolt out to just fold the bike to package it? Obviously I have not tried it. :) My bike came fully assembled, so I don't know how it looked before.
Sure you can fold it but breaking into 2 halves makes it even smaller.

Loosen the bolt without totally removing it, then push the bolt gently to loosen and remove the "shaft" (dark grey) of the other side. (I hope I can explain it better.) The shaft divides into left and right parts. Anyway, the grey part needs to be removed, by pushing or pull it away. The bolt is actually holding the grey parts together. After removing one side, use a large diameter allen to push the other side out.
View attachment 13522
Thank you for the information!

RossMN

Has anyone else tried this. I got the bolt loose but pushing the bolt gently does not do anything. The two inside pieces seem set.

Ross