Pain issues, look for bike and set-up advice.

timspong

I am approaching 60 and used to be an elite class cyclist and triathlete. However, I have terrible knees, one has been replaced and the other is on its way out. I also have trapped nerves in my neck and a lot of shoulder issues.

I can't ride a regular bike anymore because of my neck and shoulder issues as I can't put any weight on my hands/arms.

I bought a very cheap, very used, Lightning Phantom recently and it's great for my neck, however, my knees hurt as I have short legs and, with the upright position, my leg seems to bend past 90 degrees. I have 152mm crank arms on it right now and am thinking to go down to 145's if I can find them.

Anyhow, I am thinking about buying either a Q45 or an S40. Most of my riding is on the W&O/D trail in VA that goes right next to my house. It has very morderate hills but not too bad. I am not interested in racing, but I like a bit of speed.

The Q45 seems like it would be better for my neck and shoulders as it is more upright and the S40 would be better for my knees with the more reclined position. I definitely like the look of the S40 better but ultimately, I have a bunch of very nice looking bikes I can’t ride anymore, so long term function trumps looks I think.

Would be interested in opinions on the bikes and modifications related to knee and neck pain. Thanks a lot.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Short Legs, plus knee pain, that would prescribe having the boom out further than normal. On a V20 or S30 Series with short legs that results in some amount of hip "throw" as you pedal and other odd handlebar distances which makes the bike a wee bit harder to learn. I think you are on the right track start with a Q45 or a T50 you can do the reduced knee bend easier on them. You might not need anything shorter than the 152mm because with short legs you can put the boom out farther without the issue those with longer legs experience with handlebar position. The T will be easier to fit but the Q will let you know if you can move up to the next level because you can mimic an S40 setup with a Q45

Henri

scatter brain
The rear suspension of the Q45 should be more friendly to you neck, maybe shoulders and rest of the spine, too, I'd guess.

ratz

The rear suspension of the Q45 should be more friendly to you neck, maybe shoulders and rest of the spine, too, I'd guess.
Until the they start bombing down hill on the stuff......

timspong

Short Legs, plus knee pain, that would prescribe having the boom out further than normal. On a V20 or S30 Series with short legs that results in some amount of hip "throw" as you pedal and other odd handlebar distances which makes the bike a wee bit harder to learn. I think you are on the right track start with a Q45 or a T50 you can do the reduced knee bend easier on them. You might not need anything shorter than the 152mm because with short legs you can put the boom out farther without the issue those with longer legs experience with handlebar position. The T will be easier to fit but the Q will let you know if you can move up to the next level because you can mimic an S40 setup with a Q45
Thanks for the reply but I'm not too sure what you mean by short legs prescribe having the boom out further. I have very little knowledge of the bikes but it seems from the pictures that you would have to reduce the length of the boom for shorter legs to bring the pedals closer? Is that not the case?

ratz

Does the rear suspention make it more unstable or something going downhill?
I'm just a smart ass and figured you look for the most challenging and lumpy route down the hill. Life long athletes don't really ever change :)

ratz

Thanks for the reply but I'm not too sure what you mean by short legs prescribe having the boom out further. I have very little knowledge of the bikes but it seems from the pictures that you would have to reduce the length of the boom for shorter legs to bring the pedals closer? Is that not the case?
Most of us have to ride right on the edge of a 90-leg bend on the race series. Pushing the boom out has trade-offs, it lowers our feet, and flattens the hips which leads to hip roll. To counter the from being further out; some people pull the handle bars further back for leverage which reduces power from the hands and bends the elbows. These are some of the challenges. With Shorter legs you don't have to push the boom as far out so your feet stay higher and have less issues. With the Q series being more upright makes all of that more productive.

The real next step might be to see if we can find you an owner near you with a bike for test riding. A lot of us have multiple generations of bikes and are happy to help. Example if you live near Austin TX you can come see me and I'll teach you how to ride the bike. I get people on the road in 20-30 minutes usually

timspong

I'm just a smart ass and figured you look for the most challenging and lumpy route down the hill. Life long athletes don't really ever change :)
Well, I did start out as a mountain bike racer in the 80's so you never know when the I might get the urge to spontaneously reminisce.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
on every CB i have, i have been able to adjust out every source of knee and neck discomfort. but, i have a pretty ordinary frame normal length legs and arms and torso. you really have to go ride a bunch. too far from you but i have one of each (okay no q45, but my sofrider is darn close)

the only consistent issue is simply one of weight distribution. the more upright you are, the more you may have recumbutt issues to address, depending on you average distance of ride.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
awesome. i have done centuries on my sofrider without recumbutt, but i also use a ventisit pad and a very slight wedge.

ratz

Difference between a DF rider and an Recumbent rider? The Recumbent rider actually spends the time getting the bike to fit.