Paris Brest Paris: rider tracking

ed72

Zen MBB Master
This sentence has stuck with me. I am sorry you had to go thru that ordeal. I guess they thought you might be sucking their wheel? I don't think they realized the physics involved. When another rider is following it actually reduces the drag for the riders in front. Which means they don't have to work so hard to keep up the speed.

Most of those riders all pee together so you probably got past them on a pee stop.

I am curious... there was wind but was there any rain ? I guess it was a little humid if you had asthma?

I notice over here in spain as soon as there is moisture in the air all the fauna starts communicating with my nose. There is a type of moss on the roof that I have allergy to starting in Sept with the change of weather.

It was very damp at night. Dew. Night low temperatures were 39F to as high as 46F. It might have been the damp air. I thought it could be sucking the brake dust from my front wheel braking for the uprights on descents. Somebody as also open burning at a farm and I had to ride thru a huge smoke storm, that nearly killed me. To put a number on the effect, I normally make around 200 watts at 110 beats per minute and 315+ watts at 150 beats per minute, I was only making 125 watts at 110 on the way out to Brest and only 240 watts at 150 BPM (Goldencheetah regression analysis, but I knew I was way, way off). After using my inhaler a lot and sleeping a lot, my power got back to normal and I did the very hilly 105 miles from Brest to Loudeac almost as fast as in 2015 (within some minutes, but the route is different).

I spoke to other bent riders who also felt we were squeezed off the roads when packs of riders passed on the hills. My only reasonable explanation is that they have their heads up their asses looking at my front wheel and not my chainring or feet that extend well beyond that. The only riders who passed me on the flats were velomobiles.

I would pass uprights with ease on flat roads into headwinds, provided they were not stretched out riding from right gutter to left gutter. Into the wind a recumbent has a huge advantage (CdA) but the opportunity to pass a pack of 50-200 riders is limited. It might take 5 miles before I would get the chance to pass again and if a big climb was soon, they would all pass me. Quite a different experience for me then in 2015 when I rarely saw another rider in my direction after the first time thru Fougeres at 309 km. I was always with other riders this time, which made navigation easy but it also increase crash risk. I saw about 20 riders go down hard. 10 riders from the B group hit an island going in a village. I stopped, they were just bloody and some bike bits and pieces were broken. One French fellow? His second crash. Yikes.

Tor Hovland

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for the kind words! I just got home from France last night. I had a fantastic time. Given the amount of misfortune Ed and others experienced, I'm happy to say that I had no issues at all apart from a front wheel puncture on the return just before the control at Tinteniac, due to a particularly hard bump in a roundabout. It was funny, because there was a bit of a party going on at the control with folk music and dance, and then I came in and started repairing the flat with all the locals looking on curiously. Of course, I struggled a bit with getting the wheel back in place, and anything like that is guaranteed to get an applause during an event like the PBP :)

It was fun to start in the F group with all the recumbents, velomobiles, and tandems, just after the 80 hour racers and ahead of the masses of 90 hour randonneurs. In contrast with the groups in front, the opening pace wasn't that crazy. The terrain was gentle as well. When I got to the first feeding station at 118 km it was getting dark, and the following two stages of night riding were very different, because suddenly I had far fewer riders around me. This continued until dawn at Fougeres at 300 km. Something clicked at that point. I can't explain it, but from that point and until the end of the event, I felt stronger than I have ever felt on a bike before. I guess the loads of training as well as the recent tapering finally decided to pay back big time. This was also where I first met Ed out on the road. Of course, he had reached the control long before me, but needed to rest due to his unexpected issues.

The following day was just a long string of feeling good, and I made it all the way to Brest before needing any sleep, save for an afternoon powernap at Loudeac. I knew I was well ahead of the dreaded "bulge" of riders, and confident I would find a place to sleep in Brest. However, it seemed the "dortoire" at that control was nothing more than a few small offices with beds in them, and none of them were free. There was a room downstairs with mattresses, but that was full as well. In the end I laid down on the cold, hard tile floor at the bottom of the stairwell. Despite the lack of comfort, I slept like a baby for 3 hours. Next, I had a shower and change of clothes before starting the long return to Paris. Unfortunately, I never got to see Brest in daylight.

I had a nice morning cafe stop at Sizun along with many other riders before tackling the climb up Roc'h Trevezel. On the long descent on the other side we dived into a deep, cold mist. For quite a while, I saw nobody else, and was seriously wondering if I had taken a wrong turn. Eventually I got to where the inbound and outbound courses meet up, and from that point I had a rather steady stream of oncoming traffic.

I had worried that I would have to pay for my inspired riding the previous day, but it turned out I was still feeling just as strong. I rode all day until I got to Fougeres again, halfway between Brest and Paris, where I slept on a proper mattress for about 2 hours. During the day I had once again taken a quick powernap at Loudeac.

Getting going again at 3 in the morning, I wasn't feeling fantastic. I was pretty sick of my energy drinks at this point, and my appetite wasn't strong either. Anyway, going through the rest of the night went well, but I was really looking forward to a coffee stop at a volunteer booth at Hardanges. The following dawn was once again beautiful, but I was quite burdened by sleepiness at this stage. When the sun was properly up and the cold of the night was gone, I lied down on the grass for a quick powernap. This worked incredibly well, and I was back to riding strong again after that. Somewhere on the second to last stage, this happened again, and once again a quick powernap sorted it out. From that point on, I could smell Paris, and I rode the final short, flat stage from Dreux as a time trial and set my fastest time of the event there!

I didn't have any discomfort on the bike, except that at some points I could feel beginning ankle pain, but it disappeared on its own. I also had somewhat sore knees. Not painful, though, like I've had a lot in the past.

Many have been complaining about headwind. To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of wind one way or another. Sure, I could feel there was some wind going on, but it didn't affect me much.

When I say I felt strong, I mean that I had no trouble hanging on to groups of riders. In fact, most of the time that just got too slow and boring. When I passed them and tried to put myself ahead of them, it was just like they wouldn't attach to my draft. A gap would just form, and it would just widen until they disappeared behind me. Likewise, if I wanted to jump to a group further up front, I could just glide up to them, without requiring any sort of intense effort.

Even on the climbs (which were absolutely relentless and neverending, by the way), I would tend to start out strong at the bottom, to compensate for my lack of climbing speed. What would often happen, though, is that I would not only keep up with the others, I would actually pass them even here!!

On that final one and a half stage after my last powernap, I was full of energy, and left everybody I met behind. After leaving one particular group, I saw in my mirrors that the English fellow on a fixie was pushing hard to get up to me. I let him hang on and together we rolled like a high speed train on the flats, passing loads of riders. After a while we slowed down a bit so we could chat. That was very nice. And I'm just so impressed that about the only guy capable of hanging on to a Vendetta was riding fixed gears!

OK, that's all for now. There will be a video soon, I just have loads of raw material to go through first :)

ed72

Zen MBB Master
The DNF rate of 27.xx% was much worse than the average of 18% from past years and only slightly below than the two worse finishing years of 2007 and 1961 when 28% and 30% failed, respectively.

Wind on the outward was 10-15 mph headwind and a much more moderate 5-10 mph headwind on much of the return, depending on one's starting time and pace. The wind shifted, I got a slight tailwind for part of the return and then it was headwind off my 10 and then directly into my face. For an exact example, I needed 190 watts for a flat 15 mile segment ridden at 18.5 mph. 190 watts gets me 25 mph normally, this equates to about a 10-12 mph headwind. As a former high level golfer and shooting sports enthusiast, I am pretty good at judging wind direction and speed. In my opinion, the wind and lack of preparation for cold weather explains the high did not finish (DNF) rate. On a recumbent, we are not affected so much by the wind as upright riders. That same 190 watts on an upright going solo would result in a speed of 12.4 mph if they were not in a pack. Only a couple riders in the 7,000 could manage 190 watts average from Paris to Brest. I did 146 watts to Brest. My power plan was only for 112 watts from Paris to Brest. Due to relative advantages in the wind, I would expect recumbent riders to have had more success this year compared to uprights, whereas in the past recumbents had a very high DNF rate. Eventually, those results will be made public by ACF.

nobrakes

I have noticed in sportives here in the UK that upright riders tend to cut in very abruptly on me too. I don't think it's intentional but as @DavidCH says maybe just not realizing there's an extra pile of stuff in front of the front wheel. Personally I would be keenly aware of the toothed saw behind my butt if I was in front of a bike with a BB as high as the CHR.

There is a small minority of riders who clearly sneer at me any of my bents. Funny thing is I can beat most of them on my road bike anyway when I ride that :) Most upright riders have shown genuine interest and ask all about the experience of riding. I think the message is slowly getting out about the speed potential of these machines, and that not all bent riders are crawling along on heavy trikes or EAssisting.