pedal fairings

I want a pair. Maybe need to get myself a 3D printer and get to work. BTW, some more discussion here:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I tried something a little more crude (2 little bottles cut to fit on bottom of my shoes) in the WindTunnel that the Cruzbike Team and myself were at many years ago (A2 WindTunnel in Charlotte, NC). We saw no effect - actually there were detrimental
I also shaped some smaller ones (that just covered the flattest parts of my shoes) out of foam and wrapped them in CF a couple of years ago and tested them on my local track versus same shoes without. I also could not see any difference.
20190206_073138.jpg
IMHO there is just too much turbulence around the feet with them spinning as they do for shoe fairings to make a difference.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
When Aurélien Bonneteau broke the 1-hour record in 2012, he rode a bike with pedal fairings: https://www.recumbent.news/2012/06/08/one-hour-world-record-56597km/.
This was also quite controversial as records go. Most record keepers agree that you are not allowed to fair any part of your body - only the bike. Somehow helmets became acceptable (mostly because UCI allowed them I think)). - Sometimes it is a hard distinction. A tailbox causes much controversy as well. Most recumbent records have rules regarding them and full fairings and even have unfaired, rear faired, front faired and fully faired categories to distinguish between them. A sure way to get bumped up to a rear faired class is to have a large tail box that comes to a point. The basic distinction for a tailbox is that its function should be primarily to carry what the riders needs - not to make the bike faster. Of course everyone still tries to design it so it accomplished both tasks but it not overtly aerodynamic