Peeing

TransAm

Riding a recumbent disrupts the blood pressure around the body due to the legs being elevated.

As a result of this the body releases a hormone called vasopressin which function is to regulate the blood flow/pressure. It causes the kidneys to absorb water and as a consequence you pee.

On another note, this is the reason that VO2 power on a recumbent tends to less then what the same individual can do on a DF bike, elevated legs means a reduction in the hydrostatic pressure. Basically you have not got gravity helping you circulate the blood to your legs and back to your heart/lungs on a recumbent as much as on a DF bike.
I don't think gravity helps with circulation. The static pressure balances like in a U-tube manometer, so whatever pressure you gain on the way down is offset on the way back up. Obviously, there is some pressure loss due to friction too, but that should be the same either way.

Karl42

I can totally confirm that I have to pee very frequently at the beginning of a ride (and even later) when riding a recumbent. This has come up before in this forum and others.
In fact, this is detrimental to the speed advantage of the V20. When riding with a group of road bike riders, I have to stop to pee much more often then they do, which makes it harder to keep up with them or even stay ahead (maybe I'll try what Larry has suggested...).

brokemyback

Some questions please: How do you route the vent tube to avoid uphill sections of tubing? Poke a hole in your cycling shorts at your hip joint? Then what? Trail a tube along the ground?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Some questions please: How do you route the vent tube to avoid uphill sections of tubing? Poke a hole in your cycling shorts at your hip joint? Then what? Trail a tube along the ground?
I tape the tube to my belly just above my shorts - and have the tube long enough that I can hold it out at least 6 inches. There is an uphill section of the tube -but the only recourse to not have it would be to do as you suggest. I think if you did this the plastic would rub on your skin under your shouts and make you raw.
I have never had a problem doing it the way I suggested. Sure a little stays in the tube - but it does not seem to be a problem. Plus it is virtually a straight shot from where I have it taped anyway. Good luck

ccf

Guru
Riding a recumbent disrupts the blood pressure around the body due to the legs being elevated.

As a result of this the body releases a hormone called vasopressin which function is to regulate the blood flow/pressure. It causes the kidneys to absorb water and as a consequence you pee.

On another note, this is the reason that VO2 power on a recumbent tends to less then what the same individual can do on a DF bike, elevated legs means a reduction in the hydrostatic pressure. Basically you have not got gravity helping you circulate the blood to your legs and back to your heart/lungs on a recumbent as much as on a DF bike.
Vasopressin reduces urination: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidiuretic.

Jeffrey Ritter

My latest strategy is to drink less before and during the ride but drink a lot right after. It has decreased the need to pee every half hour for the first two hours. However, I end up getting dehydrated and have bad headache afterwards, so this may not be a good strategy.
Oh please do not continue this practice. As Larry Oz described, I do the same with the external catheter and tube. It is very discrete and the only trick is not being at the front of a pace line as you "drain" off the side onto the road. Umm, on the bike there is no connection requiring a quick disconnect. Helpful hint of TMI--be sure you get the right size-nuff said!