Pick up ride II

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Tonight I went out with my friends on the climbing ride I spoke of. This ride is a climb and recover ride used by a lot of local racers and racer wannabees. In fact, on any given evening, you will encounter cyclists pounding up and down the hills. It's also very scenic with many multi-million dollar homes, tree covered lanes and scenic views of San Timoteo Canyon and the orange groves below.

I was running late and decided to load the bike up and drive to the ride. This was something I had not attempted before. I drive a Toyota Matrix, which is fairly roomy for a small car, but I was unsure how the Silvio would fit inside. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that by removing the rear wheel and folding the front end over onto the seat, it slid in very easily. Easy in and easy out, I was pleased!

I arrived at the meeting location, unloaded and we were off. Not much chance to warm up, the climbing started straight off. I was kind of amazed with the ease in climbing the first initial not-so-tough streets. When we got to the first of the steeper streets, I had my doubts. I had an easy out with my knee being sore, but I decided to give it a good try. Again, I was amazed with the ease in which I went right up. The only thing that really held me back was my heaving lungs and pounding heart. Undaunted, one of my friends and I pulled way ahead of the other two and up the first long climb of probably six percent. I pulled away from my friend and spun right on up the hill. When I got within about 50 yards of the top, I wandered too close to the curb and probably would have hit it had I not unclipped and stopped. I don't know why I did that, but it allowed my friend to get the upper hand on the climb. As I took off, I spun the wheel a little, which was kind of disconcerting, but I caught my friend pretty easily after cresting the climb. From there on out, I stayed ahead of him until one particularly steep, but thankfully short climb, where he stood up and powered past me. I was wishing I had another gear or two a few times, but as it was, I slipped the wheel on a couple occasions. I'm thinking if I had lower gears, it probably would have been just that much easier to spin the wheel. It was no big deal, really and I suspect as I lose weight, the balance will shift more to the front wheel and I won't be so likely to spin the front wheel. I also ordered up some 25c Continental Gatorskins, which should also help in the traction area. At one point in the ride, I got way ahead of my entire group and eased up to let them catch back on. Another roadie, who I thought was one of my friends, passed by me, so I got right back on that horse and eased up beside him. He was zoned out on his ipod, so I freaked him out when he saw churning feet come by on his left! The last grade of any significance, it occured to me to try John's pulling yourself up in the seat for a more closed position trick.. Boy, this REALLY works! I can see this has huge potential for getting me back to riding with the big boys in short order!

The descent back down off the hill was scary fast. The bike handled really well, though and I zipped right back to the starting location where I loaded up and headed home. I was pumped when I got back! The last time I did this ride on the Bachetta was really hard, but this time it seemed much easier. I'm believing the Silvio is easily the best climbing recumbent I've ever ridden. So it seems, anyway. I'm enthused to give it another go, anyway!

Mark

Kamatu

1. How is the knee this morning?

2. What is your weight ratio, F/R?

3. Did you stiffen your rear suspension before the ride up the hills? (Alternately: Do you have any room to stiffen up your rear suspension?)

IMO, if you have enough suspension keeping your front wheel down and some extra weight towards the front, you should never get "unexplained" wheel slip. Gravel, rocks, sand, wet, icy, yes, those may all cause problems, but not on a hardtop in dry weather. Of course, it could also have been over-revving the poor motor in too low a gear.... :shock:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The knee is better, thank you. I iced it down after I got home, then wrapped it in an ace bandage. I also took some Tylenol. It feels pretty good this morning.

I don't know my front to rear ratio, but I'm packing some pretty major table muscle, so I suspect I am rear heavy. Also, my tires are old and dried out, not to mention skinny, 23c, el cheapo tires. So, slipping a tire here and there is not a big stretch of the imagination. Like I said, I have a fresh set of 5c Continental gatorskins on the way. Then, we'll see about the wheel slippage.

The rear suspension on a Silvio is what it is; no adjustment. I was in a hurry and did not check my front suspension, so I cannot comment as to what pressure I was running there. I pumped it up to 150# the night before.

That thing about me being an adult still has not been proven.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I did this same ride tonight. This time, I did not stop and wait for my friends. I feel like all the stopping and waiting really doesn't do that much to improve my fitness and that's what I'm really all about right now. So, I pushed pretty hard to see how it would go.

I was impressed with the Gatorskins and as I predicted, tire slippage is pretty much a thing of the past, as long as I'm moving. I did have to stop on one moderately steep incline and was able to get underway without peeling out. I also had one stretch that is maybe 5 percent with some sand on the road. I never missed a beat.

My fitness sucks, I'll tell you that much. I did have to stop once and use my road morph to tamp my heart back down into my chest. I sometimes get to breathing so hard I cannot catch my breath. I think it's more to do with the excess weight, which compresses the lungs in the recumbent position, than my cardiovascular fitness. I just can't catch my breath, but if I can get to the top, or get a little downhill, I can recover pretty quickly. I did have to stop once, as I said above, but recovered in just a few seconds. That was the only time I felt I HAD to stop.

I made it to the top and waited for what seemed an eternity. In reality, it was about ten minutes. Finally, I started getting worried that maybe somebody had troubles, so I turned around. I didn't have to go back down too far before I caught up to them. They thought maybe I had ditched them. One guy jokingly said this was the last time he would make fun of my bike (he didn't, he was joking).

I'm getting enough miles on the Silvio now that my confidence is soaring. It continues to get comments from passersby and friends. I'd like to do so much more with it, but my fitness is the big issue now. I realize it's going to be a long-term reclaimation process as I ward off the table muscle and any further onset of old fartedness.

Mark

Nanda H.

Mark B wrote: I did this same ride tonight.... I never missed a beat...my confidence is soaring...I realize it's going to be a long-term reclaimation process as I ward off the table muscle and any further onset of old fartedness.
Mark

Great read as usual Mark.

I have to make some final adjustments (inline cable adjusters in route) and figure out some minimalistic storage options, before I get start logging some real miles.

May the pedalling force be with you ...my Silvio piloting friend.