Piriformis issues?

Anyone have experience with sciatic pain caused by piriformis syndrome aggravated by riding a hard recumbent seat? I developed sciatic pain a couple of years ago after a couple months of riding my new Q45 in preparation for a week-long tour (Erie Canal Towpath). I don't know whether the bike seat contributed to the issue, but Occam's Razor suggests it did. If others have experienced this, how have they addressed it? After two years of this pain severely limiting the amount of time I could spend on my feet, a steroid injection in the butt has significantly knocked down the pain, and I'm wondering whether I should modify my seat or setup.
Thanks.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
A number of us on vendettas have a foam support for the arch in our backs ... I guess on the Q45 , you have more weight on the hips. Maybe you need to fine tune it a little and see if the settings become more comfortable for you. Trouble is that sort of discomfort takes awhile to go before you can change the settings and adapt the bike better.

2whluge

Full disclosure: I am not this kind of doctor. I have been riding recumbents with different seats for 15 years. IMHO, the standard CB seat leaves much to be desired.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Find some other bent riders and get a feel for their seats and positions. Any of them relieve the stress and pain? I’d also find a PT who specializes in sports injuries, and take the bike with you. Otherwise they won’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

I’ll do some more digging and report back. I’m planning changes to my Q45 this year, so this will be a good test.

Dennis