Playing with the Q45 shock

rfneep

Initially, I replaced the Q45 OEM spring shock with a KindShock A5RR1 air shock. The KindShock was used by several of us on the old Quest series and worked well there. Even with a positive chamber pressure up to 160 psi (absolute max is 180 psi), the Q45 feels somewhat soft and a little bouncy on hard acceleration.

So I have been trying another low-cost shock, the DNM AO-38RC (available from Amazon, eBay, etc.). It has a single pressure inlet, adjustable rebound, and lock-out capability.

It rides similar to the KindShock at the same pressure, but can be stiffened more by raising the chamber pressure. The max pressure appears to be 275 psi.

The real revelation comes with setting the lockout so that the shock is limited to just a few mm travel, and stays fixed once you sit on the seat. This tightens the bike up considerably and the power delivery is much improved. You can easily reach down and flip the lockout switch while riding. The lockout mode works well for smooth roads while the full suspension mode works well on trails. So far, I like it.

I presume one can get a higher quality and more expensive shock but this seems to work well enough.

Has anyone else found another good air shock for the new Q45 that they recommend?

IMG_3628 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
Initially, I replaced the Q45 OEM spring shock with a KindShock A5RR1 air shock. The KindShock was used by several of us on the old Quest series and worked well there. Even with a positive chamber pressure up to 160 psi (absolute max is 180 psi), the Q45 feels somewhat soft and a little bouncy on hard acceleration.

So I have been trying another low-cost shock, the DNM AO-38RC (available from Amazon, eBay, etc.). It has a single pressure inlet, adjustable rebound, and lock-out capability.

It rides similar to the KindShock at the same pressure, but can be stiffened more by raising the chamber pressure. The max pressure appears to be 275 psi.

The real revelation comes with setting the lockout so that the shock is limited to just a few mm travel, and stays fixed once you sit on the seat. This tightens the bike up considerably and the power delivery is much improved. You can easily reach down and flip the lockout switch while riding. The lockout mode works well for smooth roads while the full suspension mode works well on trails. So far, I like it.

I presume one can get a higher quality and more expensive shock but this seems to work well enough.

Has anyone else found another good air shock for the new Q45 that they recommend?

View attachment 11420

is the shock 165 mm eye to eye for the q45. If so I have not been able to find any shock in that size by fox etc as 40 mm of travel has been superseded with more more more shock travel.

I have found the DNM shock to be better than the kind in its action and longevity.

And also it’s lockout is a boon. I have fitted them to a sofrider and a challenge hurricane. Good performance and value.

rfneep

is the shock 165 mm eye to eye for the q45. If so I have not been able to find any shock in that size by fox etc as 40 mm of travel has been superseded with more more more shock travel.

I have found the DNM shock to be better than the kind in its action and longevity.

And also it’s lockout is a boon. I have fitted them to a sofrider and a challenge hurricane. Good performance and value.

Yes, the Q45 uses a 165 mm shock (eyelet to eyelet). The travel is quoted at 38 mm.

The RockShox Monarch series seems to be available in 165 mm size, but I’ve not been able to compare the DNM to one of those.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Yes, the Q45 uses a 165 mm shock (eyelet to eyelet). The travel is quoted at 38 mm.

The RockShox Monarch series seems to be available in 165 mm size, but I’ve not been able to compare the DNM to one of those.
What's the advantage of the new shock compared to the stock shock?

jond

Zen MBB Master
What's the advantage of the new shock compared to the stock shock?

air v spring. Advantage Allows tuning for variable loads and is much lighter. Allows for a plusher ride with ability to lockout shock on the fly. A remote lockout on bars is available from DNM.

disadvantage need a shock pump. Also need to service. Also fine perturbances little bumps are not handled as well as a spring. The spring is indestructible and will last long eons after the damper has failed.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
air v spring. Advantage Allows tuning for variable loads and is much lighter. Allows for a plusher ride with ability to lockout shock on the fly. A remote lockout on bars is available from DNM.

disadvantage need a shock pump. Also need to service. Also fine perturbances little bumps are not handled as well as a spring. The spring is indestructible and will last long eons after the damper has failed.
Thanks!

Giloun

I've tried KindShock A5RR1 and then DNM AOY-36RC on my Q45. Both of them have main and negative chambers valves while DNM AOY-36RC the lock out. The lock out is useful to keep the shock from being compressed too much when carrying heavy load and when climbing steep slope. There is a rebound rate adjustment dial on DNM AOY-36RC.
Difference between DNM AOY-36RC and DNM AO-38RC is that the former has negative chamber air pressure valve. DNM AOY-36RC seems to be discontinued since I cannot find it on the official site as current product.
Conclusion: I would recommend a shock with lock out like DNM AOY-36RC or DNM AO-38RC if you can find one with 165mm eyelet to eyelet distance.

Last edited:

rfneep

If you want to spend more $, it looks like the RockShox Monarch RL is also available in 165 size. Seems equivalent with a single air valve and lockout.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Here’s the new DNM shock with remote lockout fitted to sofrider v3. So far so good. I run only 100 psi and the remote lockout is okay bit cheap but in operation is a boon.

I run 150 psi on the DNM hurricane shock.
38D3E33F-7CC2-4D63-B31B-FF540AA0C08B.jpeg

63617447-5686-48D6-BDD3-CE0D050DD05D.jpeg