Please vet my Silvio Build

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Brief intro: This is my first post but I have been lurking (and pining for a Silvio) for about a year. I have been riding a Lightning Thunderbolt for the past 7+ yrs and I am currently on pace for about 5-6K miles this year. Primarily I will be commuting but I do expect to participate in events (STP, RAMROD, maybe some others)...and when I do (both) I like to go fast and efficient. My Thunderbolt is "ok" but I think there is more to be had from a better bike...like a Silvio.

My current setup: Triple in the front with 52-40something-34, cassette is setup with 11-34 (big jump between the last two cogs. I frequently use my 34 - 34 combination but I don't really need it. Cranks are 175, drive wheel is 26", bike weighs something like 37lbs. In the cold/rainy winter I run with a Windwrap fairing (GX?) that I expect to be able to mod to fit the Silvio.

Personal desires/capabilities: I am definitely not a racer but I like to go pretty hard. I cruise at about 19mph or so on the flat and have occasionally cranked it up to a sustained 25-27mph. I live in the Seattle area and we have a fair amount of steep hills. I am 36, 5'10", 43" x-seam, and 185lbs. I test rode a conversion last year and was turning and riding successfully in about 10 minutes.
I definitely will not let a MBB setup dissuade me...I am committed to recumbents and expect that the MBB (and Silvio in particular) is a good platform for "standardization" of parts.

So...here is what I expect to build up (after all this lurking I am fairly confident that the parts are good alone but are there any gotchas in the combination? Anything I might want to be cognizant of in this combo?

Draft build -
SRAM Rival Groupset
 172.5 Cranks
 50x34 double
 11-28 Cassette
Braze on front der.
English thread BB
* When I wear out the stock chainrings I expect to upgrade to Compact Road QRings (50 x 34) from RotorUSA

Origin 8 Gary bars

Mavic Open Pro Rims
Shimano Ultegra FH-6600 Rear Hub
Shimano Ultegra HB-6600 Front Hub
Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 28

Since I will be commuting I will also add:
Solo Racer Bag (ala DefJack)
Race Blades (ala Flasharry)

Does anyone see any glaring issues with this build?

oh yeah, and thanks for a great forum community that has allowed me to successfully compile this list.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi Blief.z
Your build spec looks like it will make a great bike - I like that you have been able to pick up a few tips from others. There is a sram Silvio on this board you can refer to.
http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=622

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Thanks John,
I hadn't noticed that post before.
I am gonna get started tonight and let you know when I have a full-on bike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Blief.z,
Good set up, but why Marathon plus tyres as they are TOTALLY puncture resistant and good grip, BUT very heavy, and VERY VERY slow.

Regards

Super Slim

Lief

Guru Schmuru
SuperSlim,

I guess I like the idea of puncture resistant better than I like the idea of ultimate speed...but I do like speed too.

I definitely went with the puncture resistant tire as my first requirement, but I wasn't aware that they were absolute anchors. I have Schwalbe Marathons (not plus) on my Thunderbolt as well as tire liners and I have only had one flat in nearly 4000 miles. I like that.

Do you really think I/you/we would notice the difference (in anything but a controlled scientific environment) between Marathon Plus tires and say something that is slightly puncture resistant and lighter?

I don't know much about tires (other than the fact that since I got my Scwhalbe Marathons (not plus) on my Thunderbolt I have only had one flat in 4000 miles) - what would be a fast alternative?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Blief.Z,
the Marathon PLUS, on a trike with 20" * 1.75" tyres, is 2 to 3 KPH slower than Greenspeed Scorcher + kevlar 1.5" (only lasted 2,000 km as cut VERY easily), and 3-4 KPH slower than SW Kojacks 1.3".
The Marathons have a good name for low rolling resistance good puncture protection, and if only 1 puncture in 6,400 Km stay with them

Super Slim

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Thanks SuperSlim,
That is pretty significant. On that advice I will run something like Marathons for commuting and come next spring/summer when and if I ride RAMROD or something for speed I will change out to one of the good fast tires.

I have as much to learn about tires as I have spent the last 12 months learning about grouppos. :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Coming into this conversation late, my apologies.

I don't like compact setups. They wear out chainrings prematurely because they encourage cross chaining and that scrubs material off chainrings. It's inevitable. I'm a triple guy and I won't budge anytime soon, even though I have a compact double on my commuter bike as my trial. It's on an eight speed set-up, so wider chain width and more forgiveness on the chainring scrub process.

For tires, consider Gatorskin Ultras. You will still get flats, but they are few and far between and they are pretty fast.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Maybe the new Schwalbe Durano Plus rather than the Schwalbe Marathon Plus?

In the Durano Plus, the SmartGuard belt is not as thick as that in the Marathon Plus. So I guess that should improve the rolling resistance issue? There must be a trade-off in puncture resistance though. :cry:

I haven't tried either tyre myself though. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Quote: Maybe the new Schwalbe Durano Plus rather than the Schwalbe Marathon Plus?

Done! That looks like a great option.

"Now let's go somewhere where there's Cheese!"