Poor Man's Silvio?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
You be the judge. Trek Mountaintrack 220, kids's rigid mountain bike. It originally had 24" wheels. I bought the bike brand new for my oldest daughter years ago. I've always kind of thought it would make a good recumbent.... I originally thought I would weld a boom onto the headtube for a RWD bike. When I first got the Cruzbike bug, I looked at this frame, but decided the cockpit would be too tight for me.

A year later and now I decide this frame will be the hot ticket. I basically just took the kit off my Pacific MTB and put it on the Trek. I had to change a few things and acquire a set of 650c wheels. At this point, I don't have a rear brake on it, but otherwise, it's ridable. I've ridden it enough to tell you this thing is a little rocket! The seating postion is almost identical to my Silvio. This is a winner and I've seen frames like this with a suspension fork for pretty cheap. I think this bike qualifies as a donor.
IMG_0310.jpg

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Now, there you go!

Just got a piece of 1" aluminum stock in... will solve your rear brake situation shortly!

The Trek 220 has gone through several iterations... it's great donor!

Now wouldn't that look good with a fairing... :D

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Somehow, I knew Jack would be the first to respond!

Doug.... Need a rear brake.... Don't make me break out my drill!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rainy day here in SoCal, so I worked on this bike some more. I made a temporary rear brake mount and it seems to work OK. I also installed a rear rack, dialed in the shifting a little and did a couple laps around the block. There's no denying the ride is a little harsher than the Silvio, but not too bad. It's a screamer and I can't wait to get her on the road.

I mounted a computer on it; one that I had lying around. After going to all the trouble, I remembered it was a computer that the head had died on my son years ago. Who knows why I kept it around? I have another computer that does work, but it needs a harness.

With the rack on it, this will be a five day a week commuter, if I want it to be. I hope to post more pics of this bike tomorrow.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
It looks like there are a lot of nice donor frames around that use 24 in wheels.Look forward to your brake mount pic. The bike must be a lot lighter than the Mongoose. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: It looks like there are a lot of nice donor frames around that use 24 in wheels.Look forward to your brake mount pic. The bike must be a lot lighter than the Mongoose. Jack

The brake mount is temporary, but was pretty easy. I just bent a piece of aluminum strap. It's bolted to the kickstand plate and raises the caliper above the chainstays. It's bolted in two places; through the kickstand hole and the fender mount hole. It's not going to go anywhere, but it is a little flexy. Like I said, temporary. I'll post pictures later this morning.

The 24" wheel bike is a good alternative. 650c wheels work great in these frames and they can be found for reasonable prices on e-bay. Tire selection is another story, but Continental Gatorskins come in 650c and IMHO, that's one of the better tires out there.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The only caveat I have for 24" frames with 650c wheels... They may not work well if you're long legged. I have to run my TFT out farther than I'd like, but I think I can live with it. I wouldn't want to run short cranks, I don't think.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Here's some more pictures of the Trek conversion:

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

I think it came out pretty good!

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I like it, Mark. Great rear brake solution...I looked at doing that too when evaluating a new frame when I found 700c wouldn't work and 650c might.

Next time I see one of those tiny treks at the flea market, I'm going to get one.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
trapdoor2 wrote: I like it, Mark. Great rear brake solution...I looked at doing that too when evaluating a new frame when I found 700c wouldn't work and 650c might.

Next time I see one of those tiny treks at the flea market, I'm going to get one.

I'm pretty happy with it, so far. I'm anxious to log some miles on it and see how it does over the long haul. I think it's going to be great! Should be a good commuter for me.

Mark

Mark B wrote:
trapdoor2 wrote: I like it, Mark. Great rear brake solution...I looked at doing that too when evaluating a new frame when I found 700c wouldn't work and 650c might.

I'm pretty happy with it, so far. I'm anxious to log some miles on it and see how it does over the long haul. I think it's going to be great! Should be a good commuter for me.

Mark

You write good ride reports and you are also good at other things! :cool:

Looking forward to some ride reports on this good looking bike. :)

Peder

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Mark

You write good ride reports and you are also good at other things! :cool:

Looking forward to some ride reports on this good looking bike. :)

Peder

Thanks, Peder!

VeloLEV

Hey Mark! Nice looking bike. :cool:

I have some important safety information regarding this donor. On some Trek MT220 models the frame was welded incorrectly. These are some of the later year models (which also happen to have a low-end coil suspension fork) from 2005-2007. Make certain to inspect your frame for the missing gusset using the PDF from Trek's website. When we get a recalled frame in the shop we take the saw and cut the BB shell and headtube off to render it unusable. I have seen only one frame that failed and it was a mess, and from the looks of it the conversion would place increased stresses on the point of failure. Luckily the young lady wasn't hurt. Incidentally, from a quality strandpoint the components on this bike are really good for the price point.

Please note you have nothing to worry about with your frame, it looks like an earlier year model.

lev

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
VeloLEV wrote: Hey Mark! Nice looking bike. :cool:

I have some important safety information regarding this donor. On some Trek MT220 models the frame was welded incorrectly. These are some of the later year models (which also happen to have a low-end coil suspension fork) from 2005-2007. Make certain to inspect your frame for the missing gusset using the PDF from Trek's website. When we get a recalled frame in the shop we take the saw and cut the BB shell and headtube off to render it unusable. I have seen only one frame that failed and it was a mess, and from the looks of it the conversion would place increased stresses on the point of failure. Luckily the young lady wasn't hurt. Incidentally, from a quality strandpoint the components on this bike are really good for the price point.

Please note you have nothing to worry about with your frame, it looks like an earlier year model.

lev

This recall was brought to my attention by a friend and co-member of our bicycle club that also reads this forum (thanks, Craig!). As you say, Lev, mine is an older model and shouldn't be a problem. I will keep an eye on that joint, just the same!

Thanks for the heads up!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I took the PMS out on our club breakfast ride today. I headed out from home and right away I could tell this was no Silvio.... Oh, it was OK and it was fairly fast, but it wasn't the entire package. First thing I noticed was, I had to do something different with my stem arrangement, as I was hitting my knees on the bar and the bolts for the Paul Thumbies were biting into my knees..... Not a good thing! I stopped and lenghtened out my TFT a little, but it was too much and caused my front derailleur to rub when I shifted to the big ring. It didn't fully alleviate the knees hitting the bars, either.

When I got over to the ride start location, I took out my tool and reversed my stem, then shortened the TFT back so the chain would not rub. I think the ultimate solution is like Doug suggested; I need to move my seat back. That's going to require rethinking my seat post arrangement. Reversing the stem worked fine, but left me feeling a little confined.

The bke rode just fine. The thing that stood out to me was the rough ride. With no suspension and the short wheelbase, it really rattled my teeth on the rougher roads, but get it on smooth pavement and it rolled out pretty fast. I'd like to stretch out more, but that's going to take some time.

Mark

b1kebox

Trek MT220 Model Recall

I found a 2005 Trek MT220 on Craigslist that was subject to the recall. The LBS Trek dealer took one quick look and initiated the request for a replacement through Trek. The result, 10 days later I received a 2009 Trek MT220 as a replacement at no cost.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Re: Trek MT220 Model Recall

b1kebox wrote: I found a 2005 Trek MT220 on Craigslist that was subject to the recall. The LBS Trek dealer took one quick look and initiated the request for a replacement through Trek. The result, 10 days later I received a 2009 Trek MT220 as a replacement at no cost.

Cool! Once you get it built up, you'll have to post some pics!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Re: Trek MT220 Model Recall

b1kebox wrote: I found a 2005 Trek MT220 on Craigslist that was subject to the recall. The LBS Trek dealer took one quick look and initiated the request for a replacement through Trek. The result, 10 days later I received a 2009 Trek MT220 as a replacement at no cost.

So.. A cruzbike conversion will be bike #28? :shock:

Dude.... I thought I was bad!

:lol: :lol:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I busted out the PMS on my commute to work this morning. Riding at my own pace, some more issues came to light.

First, I need to spend some time adjusting the derilleurs. It was not shifting like I like and I really cannot run on the 52 any lower than my top three cogs, or I get chain rub. I'm not sure if I have enough derailleur adjustment to make up for it, or not, but I think the ultimate solution is to move the seat back some. I should get some time to work on that this weekend, as they are calling for rain in the forecast.

The ride, overall, went real well though. I sort of underguesstimated my clothing needs, though and was chillier than I prefer, but I was not freezing. Only my fingertips and the tops of my ears suffered, otherwise, I was good.

I got kind of a start sitting at a stop light in downtown San Bernaghetto. There are usually a few homeless people wandering about and in fact, one morning I lit one guy up with my HID as he was pissing under a tree! Anyway, I usually say "good morning" to those I encounter and usually get an open-mouthed stare at the contraptions I'm riding. Today, however, I pulled up to a stop light and from behind me, out of my sight, I hear "Good morning" in a deep, gravelly voice. Now, this is slightly disconerting, given the locale and the inhabitants... Not being able to see the greeter, I mean. I returned the good morning and searched my rear view mirror for the recipient, keeping one eye on the stop light. It turned green and I was away like you would not believe. I've been wierded out like that, before. Riding out on an open road in the dark and you can see nothing, but all of a sudden can smell cigarette smoke. That means the person is pretty close and can no doubt see you, but you can't see them. Weird. That's another reason I went away from handlebar mounted lights to helmet mounts; whatever you look at, you see. Just ask the guy that was watering the tree! With a handlebar mount, you can feel a bit like you're riding in a tunnel. That's cool, in a way, but there are definitely times when you want to see to the side.

When I arrived at work, I got some comments from people... 'How many bikes do you have?" "Geez, every time I see you, you're riding a different bike." So, I had to explain the whole thing about the kit and how I took it off one frame and put it on another. Geez! Then, my boss (who is a cyclist) was entertaining some inspectors today, one of which is a cyclist. Before the guy left, my boss took him out to show and tell my bike. This guy apparently is a semi-serious rider, but obviously had no clue about recumbents, let alone FWD. I explained a little to him, but the moment I saw the glassy-eyed look on his face, I knew there was no point in expending too much energy. Actually, his female companion seemed more interested. I think she wanted me.. :roll: :lol: :lol:

The ride home was fun. I got lots of comments from young kids, like usual. It seems like the comments are either good, or they laugh hysterically. Not too much in between. I got into a nice spin on 5th street in San Bernaghetto, a fairly decent road with not too many stops. I was moving along pretty good when I spotted a rider way ahead in the distance. I'm human and yeah, I saw that rider as a target. My spin picked up a little and I took another gear. The rider was getting closer and closer when, CRAP! Stop light. The light changed and he was just a blip on my radar, again. I picked up the pace and started catching on. I figured it was an illegal commuter, but as I got closer, I could see it was a commuter on a road bike. Now, I'm not saying I was out to smoke a roadie, but after all the work to catch on, I wasn't going to let this fish go... I called out "on yer left!" as I swooped around the guy and he said, "Uh-oh, there goes a fast one!" Normally, I would have hung back and visited, but I was about 40 minutes behind and racing dark, so I pushed on pretty hard. He did too... I got about 50 yards ahead and from that point on, he kept pace.

I felt really great after the ride and I think the bike did pretty well. I've got about 75 miles on it and know I have more work to do on it. I expected that. Heck, working on these things is almost as much fun as riding them!

Mark