Possible chepo production bike as donor...

carnal

Anyone have a better source for a stock cheapo bike that would work with the the Cruzbike Recumbent Conversion Kit? Here is a cheapie $189 Walmart bike. Some of their bikes are around $100. Best thing about this one, is that the main bar is really low. Look at their other bikes and comment if you think any would work better.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Micargi-M90-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Red/19898200

wald-L.jpg

26" Micargi M90 Mtn Bike.
21-speed 18.5" MTB Steel frame construction, 26" tires on alloy rims, spring pressure suspension, Chinese Rd-Hg-04 derailleur & V-brakes, 26" tires on alloy rims, steel / plastic brake levers.
Steel chrome stem, handlebars, & seat post.

I guess another possibility is to print out John Tolhurst's blog entry: "Choosing a y-frame bike for converting to a Cruzbike Recumbent "
http://www.cruzbike.com/node/2786 And go to my bike co-op and have them read it and help me search for a frame.

Thank You Cruzbike, for putting together this kit, so the recumbent FWD can be had by the masses!
Brian

Oh, and is suspension necessary? Is it an energy robber?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I don't see any problems

Hi,

I don't see any problems with the frame you've found (although the components aren't going to be wonderful). Craigslist can be a good source of used bikes, too. As you mentioned, one of the most important thing when choosing a donor is bar height.

No, suspension isn't necessary, but it's nice (you can't stand to go over bumps the way you can on a non-recumbent bike). It also won't eat as much energy as it would on an upright bike.

Cheers,
Charles

Vargas

I'll tell you my experience

Don't do that!
I did exactly what you are thinking on doing. Bought a cheap Y frame bike.
Result: trew away everything except the steel frame. Complete chinese junk.
So you'll end up paying 189 bucks for a frame, because no one can be happy with very poor quality components.
Instead of paying 189, pay a little bit more and get the V2K frame. You'll never regret you bought the V2K, but you won't be able to say the same thing about the cheap one.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Don't do that!
I did

Don't do that!
I did exactly what you are thinking on doing. Bought a cheap Y frame bike.
Result: trew away everything except the steel frame. Complete chinese junk.
So you'll end up paying 189 bucks for a frame, because no one can be happy with very poor quality components.
Instead of paying 189, pay a little bit more and get the V2K frame. You'll never regret you bought the V2K, but you won't be able to say the same thing about the cheap one.

If you buy the Walmart bike, in the long run, it is likely that you are going to end up replacing pretty much everything except the frame. Given that, the advice above isn't bad at all.

The only issue with the V2K frame is that, well, it's just a frame. You'll have to find all of the parts.

Finding a used y frame bike that isn't so low end is probably your best bet as far as getting something good setup cheaply.

Cheers,
Charles

carnal

V2K frame is $230 plus the

V2K frame is $230 plus the $400 for the conversion kit makes $630.
With nice comoponents, and some 700 tires at 100psi would this out-do the Sofrider ($1100) for quality?

Is this V2K frame the same or close to the one on the Sofrider?

I could probably find some half nice frame and components at the bike co-op here in Denver.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I've been toying with the

I've been toying with the idea of building a carbon fiber over foam frame along with some other bike bits along with the conversion kit but it is hard to find the time.

I have a set of Robert Q. Riley's Groundhugger plans. Dave has actually built one but I was thinking I could build something like this but suitable for the Cruzbike conversion kite:

[URL='http://www.roguelr.com/" -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">http://www.roguelr.com/[/URL]

-Eric

Vargas

The V2K is exactly the same

The V2K is exactly the same Sofrider frame.
As CPLAGER said, finding a used Y frame bike that isn't so low end is probably your best bet as far as getting something good setup cheaply.
Cheap production bikes aren't a good choice IMHO.

Let me tell you what happened to me.
When I first looked at the Cruzbike I thought "I'll buy the conversion kit and with much less than 800 USD (price difference from the kit and a Sofrider) I'll build a nice FWD MBB recumbent".
I live in Brazil and it is simply impossible to find a good used Y frame bike - they are very rare around here. To keep costs down, and knowing almost nothing about bikes I went for a cheap production bike. To me bikes were simply bikes - I stopped in time some 20 or 30 years ago.
Built my conversion and it wasn't such a joy to ride. At first bump the suspension went down and the crown cut the tire.
Replaced the front fork and bought new tires.
Wheels made a funny noise and it felt as if it had sand inside the hubs instead of ball bearings - replaced hubs, rims and spokes.
The bike didn't brake neither shifted gears well. Replaced everything.
Each time I replaced a component the driving words were quality and reliability and no longer cheap.
Finally I have ordered a V2K frame.
Botton line - I spent more than the 800 USD...

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
@Eric: I also have dreams

@Eric: I also have dreams about making my own carbon MBB. And I'd probably start my imitating the Sofrider frame (with making some of the angles more Vendetta like).

@Carnal: Used bike in good shape is your best shot and both getting a good and cheap conversion. Yes, I believe the V2K frame and Sofrider are identical (with the big exception that the Sofrider comes with a suspension fork that allows you front disc brakes).

If you can't find a used bike you like, the Walmart bike will be good enough to give you a taste to see if you want to go further.

Confused yet? :D

Cheers,
Charles

floridabike

Selecting the right donor bike

Hi,
I was in the same position as you last October when I purchased the conversion kit. My wife had a $450 Schwinn that she wasn't riding so used it for my first conversion. It was a nice ride but after a few comments from her decided I needed to put her bike back together. So I purchased the V2/K frame and got a good deal on a very nice Specialized bike for $150 so now with the conversion kit, the V2/K frame and the components from the Specialized bike I have invested about $780. A nice feature of the V2/K frame is the 3 different holes for the rear suspension. Just by selecting a different hole can change the seating angle considerably so if it's a windy day I can ride with the seat tilted more. Much easier than changing the seat position. The picture is my first conversion with the Schwinn frame and components.

Lots of options I know, good luck in your selection.

Phil
IMG_0592(1).JPG

matthew

newbie alert

I've been stalking your forums for a while now and I've become obsessed with the thought of owning a cruzbike. I am already regularly commuting on a steel frame road bike, who's components I rather like.

My question is, do you think that purchasing the y2k frame and conversion kit would be the way to go to maximize my purchasing power? I imagine that I'd have to get a new stem at the least. What width of 700c tires will the y2k frame accept? 35s? 40s?

floridabike

Acceptable Tire Size

Hi,
I have the v2K frame and tried several tires. I have a 700 38C tire Specialized Hemisphere that will not fit. The diameter is too large. I also have a 700 38C Innova that fits ok. They both have the same size printed on the outside of the tire but the Specialized is at least a half to three quarter inch larger in diameter and rubs on the frame. The Innova also has to be deflated to get it inside the frame but once inside it's OK.

Phil