Possible donor bike

lyfe121

Would it be possible or practical to put a conversion kit on this bike?

Also, I am confused as to whether the kit accepts 1 or 1 1/8 threaded or threadless forks ?

0001675152707_215X215.jpg

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
That would probably be fine, except no suspension. John T holds firm to the notion you need at least front suspension or you get hop skip and jump in the front end. Ok, that's not the right terminology, but what it boils down to is when you hit a bump and your front wheel comes off the ground, you momentarily lose traction.

The kit really needs 1-1/8 threadless, but there are ways around the other choices.

Good luck!

Mark

Kamatu

lyfe121 wrote: Would it be possible or practical to put a conversion kit on this bike?

Also, I am confused as to whether the kit accepts 1 or 1 1/8 threaded or threadless forks ?

Is that one you already own or one you are looking at for conversion? If you are looking for one, I've got my eye on the Huffy Avarice as one.

Bah, was going to put the link up for Amazon, but I couldn't get it to shorten correctly.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I've seen that bike before, it's a "Denali", right?

It would make a reasonable hard tail conversion. You may want to use different handlebars, and as I remember the shifters on that bike are an interesting application of twist-grip types.

Non-suspended Cruzbikes are perfectly viable; a number have been built. The conversion kit seat was engineered with suspension in mind and you might find it a little hard without suspension. You can make an alternate seat pad out of minicell foam if it proves to be an issue. My hardtail uses a compound pad made of minicell and open cell foam. Good enough for 150 miles in 2 days. Search "Red Bike" for photos.

I would take a look at that bike in the store if I could, and measure the top tube height. It's not the highest I've seen by any means, but if the tube is much over 25" high you may want to consider whether the seat height will be an issue for you. I have found that a seat height that's 3" less than my inseam measurement is quite workable.

I've built several Cruzbikes using a 1" to 1 1/8" stem adapter. The arrangement works just fine.

Please bring all questions, and let us know what you're thinking!

Be well,

Doug

lyfe121

I also forgot to ask. Is there is anything extra that would be needed or modified in order for the kit to work with a 700c bike?

Thanks

Tom

currystomper

I'm in the process of looking for a good bike for the conversion kit. This bike looks quite good:

126_8fe58d71a85cafe633434ae66712488f

but I'm worried about the stem, what the best way to identify the right type of stem from a picture - any thoughts.

I know the cross bar is quite high, but I'm looking to sit higher up so I don't get run over by other vehicles

I hope this is OK adding to this thread (it is my first post)

Currystomper :geek:

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hello, Currystomper,

You're welcome to add to other posts or start new ones, as suits you best - we are not etiquette-driven around here. Sometimes your post will get more attention if you start a new one...

An interesting frame for sure, you'll certainly be up in the air, but you'll want to keep your seat height lower than 3 inches less that your inseam to insure you can handle the bike at stops and starts. You can lower the rear suspension to lower the seat a little, but you may want to get your learning done with first, because lowering the rear will increase the trail and reduce slow speed tracking - after you've learned the MBB riding style, you'll not even notice the rear height adjustment.

The stem looks like a threadless type, which is what the kit is designed to work with.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Be well,

Doug

currystomper

Just browsing ebay and came across this bike - There is a problem with the electric bit - but isn't this a ready made long bike ready to be changed into a cruz-long-bike

126_d513346820c1ad80a76395706164fc2d

now to see how the price rises over the next few days.....

currystomper

Hi All

Still looking for the right bike to convert - noted that there are a number of folding mountain bikes for sale at reasonable prices. I wonder if the seat clamp for the conversion would come behind the fold point of the frame and the bike would still fold....

126_5323d0d63edbb8011fcc935b41d38dd5

Mmm still don't like the idea of a fold in the frame though...

currystomper

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You would have to take the seat off for a fold.I would be looking for a good quality y frame thats not too heavy. Jack