Possible donor bike?

gardenjohn

Jeep brand Y-frame 17" frame 26" wheels that will get new rubber.
image(16).jpg

Rod Read

Posible donor

This a Sun 29er cruser I recently replaced it with my new Silvio. Before I sell it I thought about the posibility of using it as a conversion. However there is not any suspension on either the front or back. Woild this be a problem?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
This a Sun 29er cruser I

This a Sun 29er cruser I recently replaced it with my new Silvio. Before I sell it I thought about the posibility of using it as a conversion. However there is not any suspension on either the front or back. Woild this be a problem?

I am not speaking from experience here, but many people have converted such bicycles without any problems. Suspension is more useful on a bent as you can't stand up and absorb bumps that way*, but you'll notice that the Vendetta doesn't have any suspension. The biggest problem people often have with non-standard conversion bikes is the stand over height, but that shouldn't be a problem in this case. I don't see any reason why you're not good to go.

Let us know how it goes. :)

cheers,
Charles

Rod Read

Thanks Charles, I thought the

Thanks Charles, I thought the slanted top bar had possibilities. The short staight bar at the bottom of the slanded top bar is 27" from the ground. Does that put the seat to high. Would I be better to sell this and find a more suitable donor?

Rod

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Rod,
I believe that the

Hi Rod,

I believe that the seat should be no higher than your inseam plus 4". (Search these forums - Doug Burton is who said it and knows everything). If that's too high for you, then, yes, selling and buying something that works better may be the way to go.

You can buy the kit and see if it works on that bike. If it doesn't, it's completely reversible, you can take the kit off, sell the bike, and then buy what you want.

Cheers,
Charles

floridabike

Frame Size

Hi Rod,

My first conversion with a frame and 700 C tires had a top bar at about 29" and it was OK for me at 5' 10". I did get the V2/K frameset and with 700 C tires the crossbar is about 23 1/2". It's a little easier to get my leg over the seat, however riding didn't make much difference.

Phil