Putting my Q45 in the back seat of my car

Mark Clayton

I purchased my Q45 with the options of the Touring and Commuting rack and the under seat rack so I can eventually go bikepacking and touring. I have panniers for both racks. I purchased the bike fully assembled for me in Portland Oregon and took it home on Amtrack, riding the last 200 miles. I lived in Ventura California then.

I live in Bakersfield California and Seattle Washington now. I drive my car back and forth staying at each place for 6 to 12 weeks each time. I leave my Q45 in Bakersfield because in Seattle I have no place to store it and in Bakersfield I can keep it in a garage.

I am trying to figure out a quick (fast) and easy way to break the bike down, put it in the back seat of my Buick Lesabre and take it back and forth with me.

I would need to store it in the back seat of the car in Seattle. That means every time I want to ride, I need to assemble it, ride it, break it down, return it to the back seat, and all without getting grease from the chain on places I don't want.

I can put the panniers in the trunk. I currently have the touring and commuting rack off but the under seat rack is on the bike. Took the touring rack off on account of having a problem with my seat reclining and I am trying to figure the problem with that out. I emailed the dealer in Portland asking for help with that.

I might add, I am not very handy with my hands, especially not as a bike mechanic. I can learn though.

Can anyone give me instructions as to the quickest and easiest way to break the bike down and assemble it for taking in and out of my back seat?

Attachments

• PXL_20220704_193240534.jpg
    PXL_20220704_193240534.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I purchased my Q45 with the options of the Touring and Commuting rack and the under seat rack so I can eventually go bikepacking and touring. I have panniers for both racks. I purchased the bike fully assembled for me in Portland Oregon and took it home on Amtrack, riding the last 200 miles. I lived in Ventura California then.

I live in Bakersfield California and Seattle Washington now. I drive my car back and forth staying at each place for 6 to 12 weeks each time. I leave my Q45 in Bakersfield because in Seattle I have no place to store it and in Bakersfield I can keep it in a garage.

I am trying to figure out a quick (fast) and easy way to break the bike down, put it in the back seat of my Buick Lesabre and take it back and forth with me.

I would need to store it in the back seat of the car in Seattle. That means every time I want to ride, I need to assemble it, ride it, break it down, return it to the back seat, and all without getting grease from the chain on places I don't want.

I can put the panniers in the trunk. I currently have the touring and commuting rack off but the under seat rack is on the bike. Took the touring rack off on account of having a problem with my seat reclining and I am trying to figure the problem with that out. I emailed the dealer in Portland asking for help with that.

I might add, I am not very handy with my hands, especially not as a bike mechanic. I can learn though.

Can anyone give me instructions as to the quickest and easiest way to break the bike down and assemble it for taking in and out of my back seat?
It's definitely doable since Q45 can be packed into a bike luggage. I think you can try these steps...
1. Remove back wheel
2. Remove the upper shock QR skewer so that the rear wheel arm thing can rotate freely.
3. Remove the handlebar but leave cables attached.
4. Try to see if the bike can go into the car.
5. If not, you will need to remove the front wheel and maybe unscrew the derailleur from the fork so that it won't get bent.
6. Now try again.

Hopefully it won't take too long.

Mark Clayton

It's definitely doable since Q45 can be packed into a bike luggage. I think you can try these steps...
1. Remove back wheel
2. Remove the upper shock QR skewer so that the rear wheel arm thing can rotate freely.
3. Remove the handlebar but leave cables attached.
4. Try to see if the bike can go into the car.
5. If not, you will need to remove the front wheel and maybe unscrew the derailleur from the fork so that it won't get bent.
6. Now try again.
A huge thanks. I'll give it a go later this week.

Flying Dutchman

I found to transport the Q45 in a hatchback I needed to take both wheels off and disassemble the front triangle.
The first time I tried to re-assemble it was a real pain, especially the front triangle where you have the feeling that you need 6 hands. But with practice it's now a 5-minute job

Mark Clayton

I found to transport the Q45 in a hatchback I needed to take both wheels off and disassemble the front triangle.
The first time I tried to re-assemble it was a real pain, especially the front triangle where you have the feeling that you need 6 hands. But with practice it's now a 5-minute job
Thank you. Your message gives me hope.