Q45 HEADREST

b1kebox

Some discussion about adding a head rest to the 2021 Q45. A few recommendation for installing a wheel chair head rest, including from JB Hammond who added one to a Freerider used in a trainer. I bought one which arrived Friday. I installed it and first ride yesterday.
First some background. After I bought a QX100 in 2016, I purchased two custom ADEM 2 headrests with extra long masts, one for the QX100 and the other ford my Silvio. I had experience with the standard ADEM 2 on my RANS Ti-Rex so I knew it would work which it did. After buying the first of the Q45s in 2018, I discovered the ADEM 2 was now longer available. I went with the Bacchetta Recumbnet Headreat for $150 which is satisfactory but a little short for a 6'2" body in the Cruzbike seat. I was looking for a better and cheaper solution for the 2021 Q45.
First thing noticed after unpacking is the headrest support system is well made and highly configurable. However, it is made of steel and thus way to heavy for use on a bike intended for road or trail use. The headrest pad is also four or more times larger than the ADEM 2 or Bacchetta headrest pads. Solution, three cuts with a jigsaw and a little filling followed by cutting the excess length on the vertical and horizontal positioning posts and ready for installation. It comes with steel metric hex bolts which I replace with stainless steel, which of course is optional.
Drilled four holes in the top of the back and ready for a test ride. Total time about 1 1/4 hours. Will remove some remaining positioning post excess once I arrive at the best location. One benefit is the bolts are 4mm & 5mm hex so the multi-tool you already carry works for fine tuning the position.
If I were to do it over again, I'd order the multi-axis headrest positioning hardware from Amazon at $28 rather than the wheelchair support system with headrest at $71 and add my own headrest. If the multi-axis headrest positioning hardware was available in aluminum, I'd hope Cruzbike would add it to their accessory list for the Q and T series models. I'm sure they'd be a popular item.

CruzbikeQ45_2021_31.JPG CruzbikeQ45_2021_34.JPG CruzbikeQ45_2021_37.JPG