Q45 new handlebar review

burando

A short review: I put Cruzbike's redesigned handlebar on a 2-year-old Q45 and pedaled around a few thousand km.

Pros: It gives the cockpit a nice open feel; provides a good perch for rear-view mirrors; and seems to make the bike easier for my non-recumbent buddies to master.

Cons: It's waaaaay too wide. I cut off as much as I could, and still feel like it should be 15cm (6") narrower. The bike is now hard to get through doorways and I feel like I have to be much more careful biking in traffic.

IMHO it also encourages inefficient riding style: A wide handlebar encourage use of the arms to fight pedal-steer forces from the legs, whereas with a narrow handlebar one learns to balance leg forces to eliminate pedal-steer, which leads to faster riding and hands-free steering.

In short, a good handlebar for FWD novices, but less appealing for the experienced rider.

Next time I tinker with the bike I may try a narrow bullhorn or pursuit handlebar, which would require cutting down the steering tube to lower the handlebar boom. Has anybody done this, and if so, how did you like it?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
In short, a good handlebar for FWD novices, but less appealing for the experienced rider.

Great review!

I would say thins is about 60% accurate - it was designed for a bit of a new rider in mind. Note though it was also designed width wise to accommodate the use of MTB style trigger shifters, which always sit inboard on the bars - creating a lot if interference. The bars are very wide indeed but if you use triggers they still have decent room for most riders legs (which are usually bigger) so you don't have contact with the shifter.

A bit of compromise all around, but most seem to like it particularly over the old stock bar.

I will also say this - for people who have an S40 and want to change to a 1x12 or other MTB style setup from the road SRAM Apex - it is awesome.

I would cut about 1" or so off the ends though - the first run of there bars was indeed a bit too long in the grip section.