Q45 Upgrade time!

Flying Dutchman

Spring is in the air so time for some upgrades!
Got myself some lovely Mavic Allroad 700C gravel wheels with tubeless Schwalbe G1 tyres and as I mentioned in a different thread I was trying to get this to work with 12-speed.
I found a 'good' deal of what looked like genuine Shimano Deore XT M8100 shifter and RD but as the wheel came with SRAM XD freehub, I got a SRAM Eagle 10-50 cassette.
Well the Shimano RD did not reach the smallest cog, nor the largest cog even with the stoppers completely out. And tbh I think the shifter did only 10 or 11 shifts. Shows how good a deal it was.... (AliExpress - never again...)
Back to the drawing board. Luckily I found proper SRAM GX Eagle RD, shifters and chain for a reasonable price from a proper bike shop and with the excellent SRAM installation manual, managed to fit it all this morning. So out for a ride this afternoon - oh WOW - shifts like butter - not a single mis-shift. Right from biggest to smallest and back to biggest. What a difference.
Wheels and tyres run beautifully, so let the summer come. Can't wait for a longer ride!
I had to remove the front fender as that didn't fit anymore with the 700C wheels and 35mm tyres but hey :cool:

PXL_20240329_151829096.jpgPXL_20240329_151837774.jpg

Gofer

Looks like a nice setup .Thats what I am planning on doing .Is there a major size difference from your 27.5 tires to your 700c?

Flying Dutchman

Hi Gofer, The 700C with 35mm tyres are slightly bigger hence the front fender not fitting anymore.
I do have Schwalbe tyres on my 650 wheels as well so profile wise they're very similar. But the new wheels are tubeless which makes for a smoother ride. Also the wheels are a good bit lighter which of course helps with speed. As they say, the best upgrade to any bike are the wheels.