Q559 - Remove Internally Geared Hub

Rich

I would like to get rid of the IGH on my Q559. I know I need new wheels for this change but don't know what I need.
I was thinking of going with a 1x system to that I would not need the front derailier. I would like to have an 11x cassette so that I only have one type of chain for this and my V20.
Any help as to what I need to get and where I can get it?

thanks,
Rich

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You can have either Sram or Shimano. You need a hub that is compatible with whichever cassette you want. Most hub manufacturers make versions for all the different standards. You can get a hub or a complete wheel for whichever cassette you want. Then you need the rest of the drivetrain. You can get a whole drivetrain or get the parts separately. As did I, because I wanted to chose different cranks and shifter. But whatever you want, the answer is no. There is a shortage of steel causing a shortage of components. But now they have invented 12sp, second-hand 11sp may be easier to get.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hello Rich, I see you are in Richmond, Va.

I am in Glen Allen and have a Quest V1 non-IGH bike you are welcome to look at if you need hands-on information about changing drivetrains. I also have a couple of bikes I have switched over to 1x11 drivetrains (T50 and Sigma).

Rich

Thanks Doug! I am just not sure whether I should try to get a wheel assembly from a retailer or have Carytown Bikes build up wheels for me. There seems to be a very limited number of 26" wheels available in the web.
I might like to take you up on your offer to see what you have done with your bike though.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I have many spare parts.

Actually, I have a Quest V1 559 standard wheel.

I'll trade you even for the IGH wheel. If you decide you don't like the non-IGH setup, then you can trade it back.

No risk, eh?

Last edited:

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Doug! I am just not sure whether I should try to get a wheel assembly from a retailer or have Carytown Bikes build up wheels for me. There seems to be a very limited number of 26" wheels available in the web.
I might like to take you up on your offer to see what you have done with your bike though.

Ironically enough, Carytown bikes built the first prototype wheel for the Quest 451 IGH...