QX100 with 26/20 inch tilting to one side or the other

veloc_h

How can I diminuish the tilting flop over ?
"The smaller the fork offset (the straighter the fork) the longer the trail."
edit: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/elenk.htm
Does it mean with a 20 inch rear wheel I would have more less tilting (because with a 26 inch back wheel + 26 inch front wheel the fork would be nearly upright more at an angle)? The angle of the French MBB's is much bigger by the way...

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Explain a bit more; I'm not sure anyone is going to understand you referenced "flop over" without a long description of the problem you are trying to solve? For the Most part the Q Series frame can handle and wheels from 20" up to 650b; there are plenty of examples of 22" and 650B from over the years and at least one 20"

veloc_h

My apologizes: the verb, I used was the wrong one: the front wheel threatens to tilt to one side.
Forgot to insert the link...
I wonder to test the combination 20 inch (rear wheel) /26inch (front wheel). Haven't found anything, which fits different sizes rear/front: searched for "tyre size q series", "wheel size q series" and "different sizes rear front wheel"

Rampa

Guru
Putting a smaller rear wheel while keeping the 26 inch front wheel will give much worse wheel flop. The bike is built around having same size wheels.

veloc_h

Last edited:

Henri

scatter brain
I don't think you can count on Kreuzotter here, because the weight of the bottom bracket area plays a major role. As long as the steering axis is tilted back, the whole assembly will try to fall down. I think that's why Flevobike uses a rubber block to pull the steering to the middle. Some bikes also use the weight of the rider in the seat to pull up the bottom bracket. Of the top of my head I think ot the Sedan by Seilsteiger, that does totally flop without any chance to keep it upright - as long as you are not sitting in it. As soon as you sit in it, the steering pulls nearly straight.

Henri

scatter brain
I mean yes, that will all have it's effect on an MBB as well, but other effects will overpower it by far, so it's no point, looking at only this. some of the teachings from ordinary bikes aren't worth much here.