Rear Brake Cable Housing Frame Insert Slides Inside Frame

bullet117

My rear brake cable housing end frame insert (the one under the seat pan that slides in towards the front of the bike) slid inside the frame, so now I have no rear brake. I was wondering if anybody has experienced this and if there is a fix for it.
I was able to get the housing end out of the frame tube, but it just slides through the insert hole in the frame.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

mickjordan

Brake Housing

Did you put the metal cap ends on the brake cable housing? I suspect not. They are what prevents the houing pulling into the frame when the brake is applied, because they are wide enough to lock at the entrance. I didn't do this initially as the housing alone seemed secure enough. However, I noticed my ear brake getting weaker and when I removed the housing all the outer casing had been stripped back and the inner part had been pulled into the frame. So the metal caps are important.

bullet117

Thanks Mickjordan, Yes, I did

Thanks Mickjordan, Yes, I did put on the metal cap ends, this is what went inside the frame tube.

fthills

Hi Bullett,
I seem to

Hi Bullett,

I seem to remember an early thread a couple of years ago about the rear brake problem. At the time ,I too found something very similar to you.

I did 3 things but haven't entirely fixed the problem.

1)I made the cable run as short as possibe , I had a bit of a loop of cable around the handlebar and stem.

2) I put metal caps on the end of the cables as you and Mick did

3)I put a V brake cable pipe at the brake end to add a little bit of stiffness to the system .

There was an improvement with each of these steps and it brakes OK but is still a touch mushy, My next move would be to run an uninterrupted outer cable from back to front and use fixation points under the seat pan which would make the cable run also a little bit shorter.

The other potential solution for me is to use a more powerful brake like a shimano R650 , a touch heavy ,but the arms don't flex under power. They're fitted to the rear of the V and stop the bike very efficiently.

I haven't implemented these last two steps so can't say for sure they would lead to more improvement.