Rear Brakes Going Soft?

Silvio (CBSV-091) has been on the road since the first weekend of March-about 60 days. I have a little over 250 miles in the seat. The handling has been discovered steadily by myself, albeit there was a slide on the tarmac on the 2nd ride. Yesterdays race against a dozen or so very good and very experienced 'bent riders, while in a steady rain, did raise my comfort and confidence levels.

The course was wet all day and had a flat 90 degree right turn that dropped slightly downhill after the apex. Being tentative and not in a neck-to-neck battle with another bike, I was using some rather "hard braking" on the rear wheel, as I approached the "turn in" to the apex to get my line. The wet conditions made the brakes very soft & I was not surprised.

However, during the post race clean up, I found an interesting problem that others may develope and It could be rather hard to find.

When I built-up the Silvio, one area of difficulty was getting the rear brake cable housings to seat fully and firmly into the openings on left side of the main tube. Ultimately, I was able to scrape out paint and metal flashing to satisfy me at the first 3 openings, but I was never happy with the last hole under the seat back and closest to the rear caliper.

1780_4e38b5db86433073f94ddbdf06c7cbfc

As pictured above, I found that through the 250 miles of use the wires that support the outer cable housing were pulling through the hole in the main tube frame and effectively shortening the housing/lengthening the control cable/ causing the brakes to decrease in pressure, ie "going soft."

This does not happen when there is a cable housing END CAP installed on the cable housing before inserting into the frame hole. The first 3 holes which I was satisfied with, have the end caps on the housing, but that last hole would not accept the end cap and I wrongly omitted it during assembly. The location of that last hole makes reaming the frame hole to a larger diameter "very, very difficult". So I had given up.

1780_c457371b9497e24b5f03ea3cbd5fc54f

My solution happens to be the next step for Silvio which was already on the maintenance schedule.
I have on the shop bench a full set -brakes and derailleur cable housings- of the aluminum segmented housing made by NOKON and this week was the week for installation. These are red housings and I have red bar tape and even red SRAM brifter hoods to install. So adding to the red in the Mavic decals on the wheels plus red tires at a later date it is now obvious that #091 will be a Red & Black Silvio

1780_ba92f147302c1d64fa119ca36440eb66

If anyone has a mysterious problem with the rear brake refusing to stay adjusted, this problem I had during assembly may have happened to someone else or to a LBS.

Good Luck to everyone. Larry

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Good post thanks Larry.
Would an alternative to reaming the hole be to slightly taper the cable end by sanding it, or assemble without the cable stopper entering the hole and use the brake lever during cable adjustment to pull the endcap into the hole?

fthills

Hi Doc,

I discovered exactly the same problem on my silvio a few hours ago and was contemplating running the outer casing from front to back without interruption ,to avoid using the cable stops but your solution is better.