rear derailer sticking

Hi all
I have a problem with the rear deraler (Bit of a misnomer on the quest as it is on the front wheel). The bike is sticking on the largest cog of the 9 gear set or if it does change it will only go down one or two.
Any suggestions before if fork out $100+ (and that just to visit) for a bike service. Ialso noticed it when the cable protruded from the little cover on the handgrip. Ive got that back in now
I'm a relatively newby when it comes to bike troubleshooting and servicing.
Looks like this weekend of riding has been stopped.
Many thanks

Stuart

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
(Grumble... I hit back space

(Grumble... I hit back space and it went back and lost what I had been typing... Oh well).

Hi Stuart,

First, i recommend looking at a few videos explaining how the rear derailleur works (such as this one). Three guesses (and I'm hardly an expert bike mechanic and your symptoms aren't something I've seen before):

1) the derailleur hanger is bent.
2) The limit-screws are very poorly adjusted
3) The cable is way too tight.

You are going to need to be able to get the first wheel of the ground. If you don't have a bike stand, then turning the bike upside down is probably your best bet (although that makes it more difficult to shift).

$100 seems like a lot. The last time I looked (a few years ago), you should be able to get a "tune-up" for $75 which includes adjusting the derailleurs. If after checking out videos, you don't feel comfortable, then find a good mechanic.

Cheers and good luck,
Charles

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Is the derailleur hanger bent?

Looking from the rear of the cassette, the jockey pulleys should be vertically parallel to the cassette cogs. If not, the derailleur hanger will need to be straightened.

If the derailleur cable was protruding or the housing was not seated in the adjuster barrel, the cable may have slipped.

To reset the derailleur adjustment,
1. loosen the cable at the derailleur,
2. set the derailleur adjuster barrel to mid-way in it's adjustment range,
3. set the shifter adjuster barrel midway in its adjustment range,
4. shift the shifter to gear 9,
5. pull the cable taught at the derailleur.
6. Tighten the cable anchor bolt at the derailleur,
7. then, while turning the pedals by hand, shift the bike to gear 4 or 5. (this is sometimes most easily done with the bike upside-down.)
8. Make sure the shifter indicator and the derailleur position on the cassette agree.
9. Then turn the pedals and adjust the derailleur adjuster barrel until any chain clicking goes away. If the bike shifts, turn the adjuster the other way.

You should be good to go at that point.

Cheers,

Doug

thanks

The derailer soe seem a little off centre. I asume if deraiier bent, muscle power is used. To clarify, the bike is a Quest v1.0. Crank set derailer works OK.
Charles: You would not believe Sydney prices just to put a bike in for a Service.

Stuart.

further

It seems as though the spring will not pull the Derailleur down into the smaller cogs. It is not moving freely

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Stuart,
First, I made a

Hi Stuart,

First, I made a stupid assumption since I'm an american, everyone else must be to. :) I've not no idea what prices in Australia are like.

Second, start taking pictures and maybe even videos of what you see (maybe make a photo album on Flicker and post the link here).. It's hard (for me at least) to get a good feeling for what you're dealing with.

Good luck,
Charles

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
This would happen if the

This would happen if the cable was not feeding out properly, if for example a cable housing was ledged on a cable stopper and was not properly seated in it.