Recumbents limited from Cycle North Carolina’s Mountains to Coast tour.

Recumbents are effectively limited from Cycle North Carolina’s Mountains to Coast tour if you need to use the transportation service. Too bad, this is usually an excellent tour. The website reads: No trikes, recumbents or velomobiles are permitted.
Edit: changed “banned” to “limited”

Last edited:

Tuloose

Guru
Is this a deja vu repeat of the 1934 ban on recumbents in UCI events?
They ban us because they fear us.

I think this is more to do with their difficulty loading and transporting bikes back to the start. Which I would need.
BTW, I just enjoyed the Shoreline West Tour in Michigan and had no issues. I loaded the bike onto the truck myself.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Trek tours are a mixed bag. they allow my v20, s40, and Tica, but gonged me on my greenspeed trike.
flaming Lizard allowed v20 and greenspeed trike

Email from CNC:
“They are only excluded from that end of the ride transportation option that goes from the beach back to the mountains. You can still take both Durham buses and have them included.

It could change in 2024 as well, we review everything after this year's ride.

Chip”

So, you must buy both a pre-tour transport from Durham to the start and a post-tour transport from the end back to Durham. $70 extra. Next year is unpredictable, so I won’t be requesting that week off work.

Maybe I’ll see some of y’all at the Florida Bicycle Safari. Cruzbike’s planning to have a gathering there.

The 2024 Cycle North Caroline Mountains-to-Coast ride is confirmed. Recumbent riders can ride and use bus/bike transport, but as mentioned above, it requires both the pre-tour and post-tour options.

Of course I signed up. This is one of my favorite tours. Bonus, two separate three-hour bus rides are easier to take and gets me back home sooner.