Removing Front Wheel

xkred27

OK, not my finest hour here :oops: , but I tried. In my last entry on the previous thread
http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=221
I said that my desire for a bomb-proof tire had to do with being afraid to deal w/ flatting then having to remove the Silvio front wheel. So today I went out to do just that and to swap out the tires. Come to find that the task seems to include removing the RD. I didn't build up the bike, Nanda did, so this came a surprise. Now I'm confused. Can someone describe to me--as if to a 3-year-old--how to remove the front wheel? This is what it looks like to me:
1. Shift into smallest cog
2. Loosen skewer
3. Remove skewer nut and spring
[3.5 Hmmm, do I need to somehow support the RD prior to the next step?]
4. Remove skewer, freeing RD hanger (part 80 on parts list), RD, and wheel
5. If necessary, move chain out of the way
6. Remove wheel.
7. Change tire and perform steps reverse.
Assumption: RD should operate as before without need for adjustment.

Thanks.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Think outside the box.

Because of the width of the dropout unit(s), there is no reason not to put the skewer in "backwards". That is to say, insert the skewer from the derailleur side. When you pull the skewer, only pull it far enough to allow you to pull the wheel out, then slide it back through to hold everything together.

All that being said, if it blows up and you have to reassemble the whole front end, it's not a big deal. Derailleur adjustment is a matter of adjusting the cable tension and the inner/outer adjustment screws. You should have no worries.

Certainly the arrangement is unorthodox and has been a source of consternation for me, too. It seems to function well, so I would not worry too much about it.

Mark

xkred27

Mark B wrote: Think outside the box.
Mark
Man, if only there were pharmaceuticals to help w/ that. Your idea to reverse the skewer wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years. Other points about RD care and feeding also taken. Thanks, Mark.

Robert Stewart

Hi xkred27,

No need to feel silly - I was just about to ask pretty much the same question, LOL. I got a flat on the way home from work today - on the plus side I was almost home at that stage, on the minus side it's at the front. I got my LBS to do the Silvio build for me, so I don't know the ins and outs of the front triangle assembly either. Unfortunately, my LBS is in the city where I work, not the town where I live...

I have a spare inner tube, and my Topeak Alien II tool kit includes a couple of tyre levers in the body. So theoretically I have what I need to sort out the flat, but I may need some hand holding...

Cheers,
Rob

xkred27

Rob,

Last night I went to post the steps I took, but lost all my input. Will post later, after work. Wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
All Silvio owners should learn how to remove the front wheel on the road.Its not hard just different. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think it goes something like this:

1: remove the skewer nut and spring and place these securely in your pocket.
2: Pull the skewer out to what you determine to be far enough to let the wheel come free
3: Pull harder on the wheel.
4. Pull the skewer completely out and angrily throw it on the ground, probably losing the spring.
5. Jerk wildly and repeatedly while impressing those within earshot of your vocabulary.
6. Kick the bike three or four times while shaking your fist and cursing the miscreant that designed this (#($#*()@ thing.
7. Jerk and scream and kick some more.
8. Release the brake lever so the wheel can come free. :oops:

Mark

Kamatu

OMG. LOL. ROFL. ROFLMAO. Thanks, I needed that.

On a more serious note: Always check the small stuff. Anyone who does electronics/electrical troubleshooting and claims they have never gotten ready to replace an item when finding out that what they are working on is unplugged or not turned on has insufficient troubleshooting experience.

Mark B wrote: I think it goes something like this:

2: Pull the skewer out to what you determine to be far enough to let the wheel come free
4. Pull the skewer completely out and angrily throw it on the ground, probably losing the spring.
5. Jerk wildly and repeatedly while impressing those within earshot of your vocabulary.
6. Kick the bike three or four times while shaking your fist and cursing the miscreant that designed this (#($#*()@ thing.

Mark

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu wrote: OMG. LOL. ROFL. ROFLMAO. Thanks, I needed that.

On a more serious note: Always check the small stuff. Anyone who does electronics/electrical troubleshooting and claims they have never gotten ready to replace an item when finding out that what they are working on is unplugged or not turned on has insufficient troubleshooting experience.

Yeah!
I used to help customers over the 'phone, before committing to a service call.
The first question is always some version of,"is it plugged in?"
:lol:

Mark
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(My $.02 :
7.5. Look around, checking for witnesses before....
8. Release the brake lever....)
:D
-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: (My $.02 :
7.5. Look around, checking for witnesses before....
8. Release the brake lever....)
:D
-Steve

Yeah,, I thought about that, too. I discounted 7.5 because with all the ranting, raging, and screaming, by now, you've drawn a crowd. ;)

Mark

Robert Stewart

Mark

LOL. :lol:

Well, I managed to avoid the process this time by mending the punctures on the tube without removing the wheel. There were three of the little blighters as it turned out. It took me ages to find the first one, then I found another one parallel to it (like the wheel had been bitten by a snake). I covered both of those with a single patch, and then discovered there was another hole on the other side of the tube. So it was on with another patch, after which some tentative inflation failed to deflate. Hoorah! :D

I left the Silvio overnight and was pleased to find the tyre still inflated this morning. The bike was running nice and smoothly again today - good as new. Phew! It must be fifteen years since I fixed a puncture on a bike myself. The next thing you know, I'll be making my own fairings or redesigning the rear suspension assembly... then again, maybe not... :p :lol:

Cheers,
Rob

xkred27

As threatened, here are the steps I took. Total time start-to-finish was was ~17 hours. Mind you, I started with the skewer nut on the cassette side of wheel, not vice versa, as suggested by Mark B.

Stuff needed: an extra skewer or maybe a nail
0. Shift cassette to smallest cog.
1. Unlock brake.
2. Unscrew skewer nut. Remove it and the spring.
3. Slowly remove skewer from side opposite cassette while inserting extra skewer/nail in hole vacated by retreating original skewer. In this way you keep your derailer hung, although this turned out to foster a completely delusional sense of security. Do something to secure the nail/skewer in place so that it's inserted deeply enough to hold on the derailer hanger, but shallowly enough to permit you to re-install the wheel after the silky smooth process of changing your tire.
4. In the infuriating manner no different than with a standard bike, use 3 to 4 of your hands to disengage chain, pull wheel from dropouts and down between the brake pads. The skewer/nail which held the derailer in place will of course fail at this point and fall out. Recover as best you can. Also remember to forget just exactly how the cog re-engages with the chain.
5. I installed a slime-filled tube and Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp 700x25s.
6. Check rim for burrs, little men with spears, and other foreign objects. Based on no knowledge, adjudge the rim tape to be sound.
7. Apply first bead of new tire, being careful to ignore applicable rotation direction signs and neglecting to align the label with the valve stem hole.
8. Insert slightly inflated tube.
9. Begin to install second bead. At final six inches, bead strength surpasses hand strength. Try repeatedly, invoking the Holy Trinity with blasphemies so withering as to ensure damnation. For good measure, repeatedly invoke the Universal Malevolent Force known in polite circles as He Who Fornicates with She Who Bore You. With one mighty last heave, focus all your strength and shove. If you're as good as I was , you will simultaneously break your thumbnail, pinch flat the tube, and seat the tire. Slime and blood will spill all over your wheel. The red and green ooze will remind you both of Christmas and one of those Advanced Decompo scenes on CSI.
10. Delude self into thinking that --well sh*t-- since it's a slime tube it will self-seal and I'll just leave it in there.
11. Inflate tire and listen for a diminution of the hissing sound coming from the area of the the pinch flat. When the sound persists, and cruel hope first fades, then dies, remove everything, noting how slime now covers a good part of your rim, and do it all over again with a fresh tube, this time refraining from pinch-flatting.
12. Re-install wheel. Spend an hour trying to line up hub, derailer hanger and stays. With one final shove, you run the skewer through. Only then do you remember Mark B's words to install the skewer cassette-side-first so as to avoid the suffering you've just experienced. Having thus remembered, you remove the skewer (at least remembering to install your "support" skewer on the way out) and re-insert it from the correct side. Of course this time, you'll need to remove the support skewer BEFORE inserting the real deal. You will fail and die.
13. Tighten skewer, foolishly expecting that this alone will straighten the derailer, now hanging at an extreme angle to the frame, the grotesque geometry reminiscent of German Expressionism.
14. When this fails, repeat until the sonofabitch slips into position. Don't ask me to describe how that happens. It just did. It is not at all obvious when the derailer hanger has seated properly. It. Just. Isn't.
15. Test your shifting. This can involve subtle adjustments. The first time I tried to apply pedal pressure, nothing moved. I mean nothing. Nada. Niente. A few more tries and it all fell into place.
16. Also, FYI, somewhere in this process I used a sledgehammer. I believe it was when my "backup" skewer got stuck, badly, and I decided to deal with it Like a Man.

So that's the way it was. OK, maybe not 17 hours, but a long bloody (literally) time.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote: So that's the way it was. OK, maybe not 17 hours, but a long bloody (literally) time.

Sir, I tip my hat to you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I especially appreciated the part about "He who fornicates with she who bore you". I speak frequently of him myownself.

Mark

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote: As threatened, here are the steps I took. Total time start-to-finish was was ~17 hours. Mind you, I started with the skewer nut on the cassette side of wheel, not vice versa, as suggested by Mark B.
...OK, maybe not 17 hours, but a long bloody (literally) time.

Brilliant piece of writing:
now, while the process is fresh in your mind, repeat the process as many times as it takes 'til you're confident that you are competent.
:twisted:
----
-Steve

xkred27

yakmurph wrote:
xkred27 wrote: As threatened, here are the steps I took. Total time start-to-finish was was ~17 hours. Mind you, I started with the skewer nut on the cassette side of wheel, not vice versa, as suggested by Mark B.
...OK, maybe not 17 hours, but a long bloody (literally) time.

Brilliant piece of writing:
now, while the process is fresh in your mind, repeat the process as many times as it takes 'til you're confident that you are competent.
:twisted:
----
-Steve
What makes you think I'm not competent ? :D :D :D :D
Will do, once I regain use of my thumb.