Riding no hands improved after unicycling!

Hi all,

Long time Cruzbike owner, first time poster in quite a while.

I have one of the first Hydroformed Vendettas (the yellow ones) and I ride it a lot, maybe 4 times a week or so.

I have always been "kind of" able to ride no hands, meaning for a short distance, in a mostly straight line. But then something interesting happened. I got a unicycle, and spent a few weeks off the Cruzbike while trying to learn the unicycle. I am still working on it - it takes longer to learn than a Cruzbike, that's for sure.

Anyway, I got on the Vendetta today and I can now ride no-hands indefinitely. I can turn corners and everything. And I can pedal a lot harder no hands than I ever could before. It makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it.

-John

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
A cruzbike is like a unicycle with a training wheel.
The best training aid similar to a unicycle I once saw (but not tried ), is a cruzbike on a trainer with the back wheel suspended freely off the ground. With a little thought and creativity this can be made as a sellable product by cruzbike. Maybe a little flexible back wheel suspender. Possibly even a tripod with a swinging quick release attachment to replace that rear wheel. Alternatively a sliding base(with limits) to place the rear wheel on and allow the horizontal swinging motion.

It will force upper body involvement on a stationary trainer. You can practice hands-free technique/reflexes on it.

It was demonstrated by the original cruzbike designer John Tolhurst

upload_2020-7-10_13-18-34.png

Last edited:

Kufman

The best training aid similar to a unicycle I once saw (but not tried ), is a cruzbike on a trainer with the back wheel suspended freely off the ground. With a little thought and creativity this can be made as a sellable product by cruzbike. Maybe a little flexible back wheel suspender. Possibly even a tripod with a swinging quick release attachment to replace that rear wheel. Alternatively a sliding base(with limits) to place the rear wheel on and allow the horizontal swinging motion.

It will force upper body involvement on a stationary trainer. You can practice hands-free technique/reflexes on it.

It was demonstrated by the original cruzbike designer John Tolhurst

View attachment 9685

Ya, don't try that with a skateboard under the back wheel, it ends badly. Ask me how I know, lol!