Riding with a rear deraileur stuck in 1 speed

The Brook

This morning, I had just started my morning commute on my Freerider, and was in 7th gear on my rear derailer, I went to downshift, and my shifter would not move.
A quick look showed me that the gear cable had frayed, and as I didn't have a replacement cable in my bag, I had to ride to the office using the front derailleur's 3 speeds (24-34-44 front chainrings), the rear deraileur stuck in 7th gear.
Fortunately, my route is quite flat, so that starting from stops in the 24x13 gear wasn't too difficult, and I could upshift to the other 2 plateaus and ride in without too much lost time. But my knees were a little sore when I arrived at work. But I would not have been able to go up any hill more than 3-4%.
I selected this gearing from BikeSmith design a few years back, with 155mm cranks and Rotor chainrings, as I'm a spinner, and I like to ride at over 90 rpm.
Had I been using a 34-50 compact front, starting from starts would have been a lot more difficult in the 34x13
low!
Anyone else have this happen to them, and were they able to continue?

I had the opposite earlier this month while on tour, lack of lubrication had my FD unable to shift big to middle to small rings, but the rear was OK. I ended up getting off and manually pushing it over for the hills. A bit of lube when I got home and it's now OK again.

At least I had 8 speeds per chainring. I feel for your knees!

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I've never had a broken cable in 40+ years of cycling but do carry a spare. I have broke chains several times. I fashioned a spare link using bailing wire out in the middle of nowhere. Guess who carries quick links?

The Brook

This is my second cable in 17 years of recumbent riding, my first one was on my RANS Stratus, the rear derailer cable broke, and I was again only able to use the 3 speeds of my front deraileur, same issues, but since I was younger, it seemed easier ;).
I replaced the frayed cable when I got home, and will buy a replacement cable tonight and

The Brook

Whoops, cut off the last part, should read And will put it in my bag so that I have a spare if needed in the future

Denis

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Good reminder. I have been lazy. I usually replace cables every year at the most. I'm tempting fate. I am waiting to get stranded and then safety concerns can justify e_Tap to the CFO of the household.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yes it’s a nightmare. But usually the shift changes becoming less than acceptable give warnings.

On a recent audax ride it got down to minus 7 deg c. My mate was piloting a roto Velo and snap no rear mech. But this guy is Pete heal and well despite the iced up broken cable he was capable of replacing it on the side of the road. Legend.

Next time he says he will ride a suspended mango. Currently he is in japan after completing an audax 2400 he is touring. He was caught up in the recent cyclones at the airport. Pete is tough. Wind and waterproof. He’s riding an optima this time

My v 20 frays cables at the brifter 11 Spd 6800 series and so far I’ve gone through two. Must be the angle and stress.tortured path lol. It frays virtually 5 mm from the stop .

I carry a spare on longer rides. Might be time for complete renewal.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes it’s a nightmare. But usually the shift changes becoming less than acceptable give warnings.

On a recent audax ride it got down to minus 7 deg c. My mate was piloting a roto Velo and snap no rear mech. But this guy is Pete heal and well despite the iced up broken cable he was capable of replacing it on the side of the road. Legend.

Next time he says he will ride a suspended mango. Currently he is in japan after completing an audax 2400 he is touring. He was caught up in the recent cyclones at the airport. Pete is tough. Wind and waterproof. He’s riding an optima this time

My v 20 frays cables at the brifter 11 Spd 6800 series and so far I’ve gone through two. Must be the angle and stress.tortured path lol. It frays virtually 5 mm from the stop .

I carry a spare on longer rides. Might be time for complete renewal.

I have attached a video for you as being a NSW person, you might need it!
Please note that a Shim 6800 has special end sleeve with a ridge on it!
Is this where your cable broke?

I have used a continuous outer for the rear derailleur, to stop dirt and rain getting in through the exposed inner on the front fork

1happyreader

zen/child method
Hindsight makes things SOoooooo easy.
I never did this but its such a duh moment.
you can't shift but you CAN choose a different cog.

1. remove broken rear derailleur cable.
2. make a knot . and thread thru adjuster leaving you with 3-4 inches of non moving cable.
3. move derailleur by hand to a middle gear.
4.clamp in place with pinch bolt
5. fine tune with barrel adjust.
6, secure loose cable. Keeping it out of your spokes. lol