Riding with the Big Boys (and girls)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I really had a nice weekend of riding. Saturday, I headed out with some of the faster riders for what was supposed to be a climb up to Lytle Creek, which is about a five milish climb in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains above Fontana. I had no intention of going the entire way, as I was committed to helping a friend move. My original intention was to head out with the group and hang on as long as I could hang on as we gained altitude through San Bernardino and Devore and cut across the Glen Helen Parkway. I not only held on, but rode at the front for much of the way out through San Bernardino. I kept setting places where I thought I might turn around, but felt so good and was riding so well, I kept pushing on. As we got north of San Bernardino, we got stronger and stronger winds. I waited with a small pack as one rider repaired a flat. Most riders continued as we were not in a good place for that large of group to be waiting alongside the road. When we got going, I was kind of at the back, but hung right on. I reeled in and passed a few and as we turned and headed across Glen Helen Pkwy, we caught a nice tailwind and I fairly well flew! I blew right over a short, but decent climb and eventually started reeling in more riders. The wind shifted to a cross wind that had us leaning into it pretty good. One rider freaked out a little bit and even walked her bike awhile to steady her nerves. I caught up to the rest of the group at the turn to go up the climb. The wind was horrible at this point and only a very few went up. Most elected to go back the way we came, but I hate out and backs. Besides, I knew the way that wind was blowing, it was going to be miserable going back that way. Instead, myself and another fellow went south and took advantage of not only the downhill, but the tremendous tailwind. We cut back across south of a landfill that mostly sheltered us from the wind. Our route was more urban and while we suffered a few more stop lights, we were more sheltered from the wind. I spoke with a few riders on Sunday that said they wished they had gone with us. By the time I got home, I had around sixty miles on the bike and I was spent. Unfortunately, I had to go help my friend move and we carried heavy stuff upstairs all afternoon. I think I was dead the second my head hit the pillow.

Today (Sunday) I lead the usual Sunday morning breakfast ride. We had a real good group and were able to travel a pretty good pace. We extended the route out to what Jack and I did a couple weeks ago. Most seemed to like it. The thing I was amazed about was despite being seriously tired from Saturday, I still felt really good on the bike and found myself having to reel myself in to stay with the group I was leading. I was talking to my cyclist friend who I was helping move and who rode with me last weekend. I remarked to him that I feel like I am getting really stronger. He told me that may be true, but that he thinks the Silvio is just that much more effecient. He might be right.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Sounds like a intresting weekend Mark. I know I feel pretty good even after a long ride on my Silvio even at my age. I think a lot of that extra power is coming from the upper body. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: Sounds like a intresting weekend Mark. I know I feel pretty good even after a long ride on my Silvio even at my age. I think a lot of that extra power is coming from the upper body. Jack

Thanks, Jack. We need to ride again soon!

Mark