Rudy Wing helmet

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It looks fast for sure, but I haven't even seen one here in Japan. The lense looks huge and it would be great if it extends far enough down for recumbent riders.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Good point Mathew. I put a Giro Air Attack shield on my Limar 007 helmet with 3 holes, Gorilla Glue and 3 strong magnets. 1 thing though is that the magnets in the lense come out pretty easily so they have to be glued in with some stronger glue. The lense can be flipped upside down when not needed as well. It works alright but have my eye on a bit larger lense at the bike shop because the gap is too large at the bottom near my face. I'll take the helmet there 1 day soon and see if it'll work. The Rudy wing helmet looks like it would be great for races or max efforts though.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Should not be a problem. I have not tried it but I think there should be plenty of space.
I run black duct tape over the top half of the shield to block the sun. Not an issue with position on a DF but on the V, the reclined position makes the addition of the sun blocker a necessity. I do the same on the sunglasses I wear with my POC helmet that doesn't have an attached shield.

Thanks for the info. Another question on this helmet. How’s the clearance with the back of the helmet and the fit adjuster and the V20 head rest. ?
Thanks again

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I am using the Thor head/neck rest:
http://www.thorseat.eu/en/store/Neckrest-Comfort-p138838918

Works fine with the Victogal helmet as well as my POC Ventral Spin helmet
http://www.thorseat.eu/en/store/Neckrest-Comfort-p138838918

The POC is a very close fit - the top of the neck rest sits directly below the POC's strap/support but it works just fine. Of course everyone wears/positions neck/head rests and helmets their own special way.

All things considered, I think the POC is the most comfortable, lightest and most "not there" helmet I've ever used. Bought it on a half price sale last year around Christmas. I'm looking for an oversized set of cycling sunglasses to wear with it for increased coverage. Looking at the POC Aspire, Roca SL/SR series and a few others. Any suggestions for large coverage glasses appreciated.

David, good call on luge helmets. There may be some aerodynamic advantage, what I think Larry is looking for. I found this one. There’s some cool videos. One shows longboarders descending a mountain. Spoiler alert - it shows the value of a full face helmet.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
How about a luge helmet?
I had looked into them a long time ago but discounted them due to the weight and also that they don't appear to be designed with keeping someone cool in mind. They have to be so much more stout that cycling helmet for obvious reasons and the runs are so short (and it is cold) that they probably don't have to worry about ventilation either. You might bake in it is you rode around with one for a hour.
But, the design is pretty much what we (recumbent riders) are looking for. Might be worth looking into, maybe even contacting a producer to see if they would be willing to produce a recumbent version :D

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I had looked into them a long time ago but discounted them due to the weight and also that they don't appear to be designed with keeping someone cool in mind. They have to be so much more stout that cycling helmet for obvious reasons and the runs are so short (and it is cold) that they probably don't have to worry about ventilation either. You might bake in it is you rode around with one for a hour.
But, the design is pretty much what we (recumbent riders) are looking for. Might be worth looking into, maybe even contacting a producer to see if they would be willing to produce a recumbent version :D
Or maybe having a bicycle helmet manufacturer make some shaped like luge. (The flip side idea - changing the shape might be easier than adding ventilation to something that they are not used to considering ventilation.)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
My project is not covering the ears like you are looking for Larry, but it should be a bit more aero than the Air Attack shield. In Japan we have quite a few... um... unique items here, so if I come across something that might be what you are looking for then I will get some pics of it along with the specs and post them here.

With that written, and as I wrote earlier about the Air Attack shield leaving a gap at the bottom when riding my V20 and wanting to try another shield, I took my helmet to the shop yesterday and bought a Kabuto ARS-3 shield. It closes the gap by about 3-5mm, but the side magnet placements are almost an inch further from center, which means the lense wraps around further as well. The blue lense is the Air Attack which is what I normally use. The red lense is the Kabuto ARS-3, which is connected only with the center magnet for now. I'll drill 2 more holes and put magnets in them soon.

Pros and cons for each helmet.
Both have 99% UV cut.

Air Attack
Heavier but more sturdy.
Great lenses but covered with a film that eventually wears off.
Slits across the top to improve airflow (increase drag?)
Getting difficult to find as it is a bit older.
Has a nose piece at the bottom of the lense.

Kabuto ARS-3
Lighter and more flexible which helps with moldability to more helmet shapes.
Coating is sprayed on but I don't know about durability yet.
A bit better coverage at the bottom and wraps around a bit more as you can see in the pics.
No nose piece and the Air Attack shield nose piece fits too loosely to swap between them.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.57.59.png Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.58.13.png Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.58.26.png Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.58.55.png Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.59.08.png Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.59.28.png

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Larry, I was searching a local bike shop's website and came across 2 large (59-61) Scott Split helmets for sale. I don't see the lenses in the picture, but I can check in person the next time I go there if they have them on the shelf and not in the warehouse. You have probably already came across it but just in case I thought I would post here that it might be an option. It is a bit longer than the Rudy Wing. It does have the ear flaps like you were hoping for though.
images.jpeg

Edit, they have 2 in white also (M & L)

https://www.cypara.com/c/wear/wear_helmet