S40 Frame

Teddy

Nice looking frame, ready to be a great ride. Any issues with the frame other than the superficial scratches?

Anyone know hard/easy is it to get the front triangle/boom? Will the current S40 parts fit this frame?

Thanks!

Hi rhoffman
As far as I know there are no other issues with the frame. I believe it is ready to assemble and ride.

Thank you,
Teddy

benphyr

Guru-me-not
No offense meant @Teddy but one must ask for history. Who / where did you purchase it from? What caused the damage? Do you have personal knowledge of the damage and where are the front triangle, carbon seat, seat pad, headrest that go with the frame? Remember that we have a limited source (S40.1 based on paint scheme) and any purchaser needs to know history to help judge the risk involved in using a clearly somewhat used frame.

Any further information would help.

telephd

Guru
Im curious what happened to the bike Teddy? Was it in an accident? I see benphyr beat me too it!

rhoffman, I asked the same question a week or so ago for another project and here is what Maria said:

"We try to order a few extras forks and chainstays with each batch in order to support customers who might need parts.

Nevertheless, we don't sell complete front triangles. If the whole front triangle is ruined, the customer needs a new mainframe too."

rhoffman

Im curious what happened to the bike Teddy? Was it in an accident? I see benphyr beat me too it!

rhoffman, I asked the same question a week or so ago for another project and here is what Maria said:

"We try to order a few extras forks and chainstays with each batch in order to support customers who might need parts.

Nevertheless, we don't sell complete front triangles. If the whole front triangle is ruined, the customer needs a new mainframe too."

I get it, they run lean and don't want money tied up in parts inventory. Depending on the history of this frame, it could be a nice start to a great bike, if a replacement front-end could be found.

Rampa

Guru
This would be good for "frankensteining" with a Quest fork and Emeljay mod, if anyone is inclined. :) Would change the steering geometry very slightly.
I already have my FrankenT, so this looks like a mod for someone else!

Teddy

I got the frame from a piece of property that was being developed. We were clearly everything out to build a subdivision. The crew had put frame in a scrap metal pile, that could be where the scratchs came from. I was told there were other bike parts next to it, they had gotten hauled off by the time I got the frame. No one knew what it was. I ran a local add to see if anyone would call and tell me it was theirs. No one called.

dtseng

Teddy, please contact the head office. They have the record of S40 owners in your area. The bike is only one to two years old. It wouldn't be hard to find out who owns it. If no one comes to claim it after some time, it's legally yours.
The bike might be stolen. The thief probably couldn't ride it, he then removed the wheels, drive train and headset, and dumped the rest on your property.

Last edited:

rhoffman

Teddy, please contact the head office. They have the record of S40 owners in your area. If no one comes to claim it after some time, it's legally yours.
The bike might be stolen. The thief probably couldn't ride it, he then removed the wheels, drive train and headset, and dumped the rest on your property.
The plot thickens. It would be nice to know how it ended stripped and left for junk.

kdc

Teddy, please contact the head office. They have the record of S40 owners in your area. The bike is only one to two years old. It wouldn't be hard to find out who owns it. If no one comes to claim it after some time, it's legally yours.

Agreed. Having had a bike stolen this summer, I'd contact Cruzbike directly to see if they can help locate the owner. I think the scenario that @dtseng paints is the most likely: the thief couldn't ride it and stripped what he could, leaving the funky frame behind. If you found it recently, you could also look on Craigslist for the parts. People here might know what came on that model.

Good luck and keep us informed!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I got the frame from a piece of property that was being developed. We were clearly everything out to build a subdivision. The crew had put frame in a scrap metal pile, that could be where the scratchs came from. I was told there were other bike parts next to it, they had gotten hauled off by the time I got the frame. No one knew what it was. I ran a local add to see if anyone would call and tell me it was theirs. No one called.

Those with an S40 can confirm where the frame serial number is. Is it at the headtube or at the bottom where the stays meet the main tube? With that Cruzbike can confirm the original owner, I think.

Last edited:

Teddy

Just so everyone knows. I took the advice and I emailed Cruzbike asking about possible stolen bikes in my area. I have not received a reply. It's been over two weeks.