Seat posistion relative to head tube

MagneO

Hello! My conversion donor has a frame geometry such that the seat is relatively high. The height is not a problem as such, but the bottom bracket could probably be higher relative to the seat. This can obviously be accomplished by shortening the adjustable tube, that is, swinging the bottom bracket upwards. I order to have a comfortable distance to the pedals the seat must then move backwards. There is some room for that if I play around with the seat post supporting the back of the seat. However, is this a problem? Does the distance from the head tube to the seat matter? The weight distribution moves a little but except from that?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It will be managable, to have

It will be managable, to have the seat back further, from a riding perspective. Not as good as being forward, but still quite ridable.

John

MagneO

This is how I ended up. It is

This is how I ended up. It is rideable but more difficult than before (based on a few laps around a car park). I will ponder this a bit. Perhaps I need to find a new donor.

Would it be a good idea to make an extension to the deralieur-hanger bracket so that the stay up to the bottom bracket becomes longer?

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  That seats pretty far back.

That seats pretty far back. I would turn the stem around and move the seat forward.It should be a lot better then. Jack

MagneO

Well, then the BB is lowered

Well, then the BB is lowered again, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid....

MagneO

Is it possible to but only

Is it possible to but only the frame kit since I have the front triangle already? Does the kit contain both the frame itself and the rear triangle? What head tube diameter is it? I guess it is A-head?

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   I would rather have a

I would rather have a lower BB than the seat too far back. You can buy a VK2 frame set and use the parts you now have for a complete bike. Check the Cruzbike catalog.I think they use a 1 1/8 headset. Jack

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  Here are some measurements 

Here are some measurements of my BB Silvio seat higth 21.5in BB 26in Quest 451 seat 20in. BB 18in.. Both these bikes handle great and can be ridden really hard without the front or back wheel washing out it. Jack

MagneO

Hi!
I finally put the new

Hi!

I finally put the new frame on the bike (kit). It was before the summer (but a year later tha originally thought). :)

I now have the odd problem that I pulling the wheel out of the front fork bracket when I try to pedal. Thsi is odd and it seems that the Quick Release is not powerful enough, but I have thightened it beyond the point it be called quick release and I have tried more than one wheel.

What can cause this?

I am considering filing a little semi-circle in the groove so the axle can settle in.

Any ideas?

Regards,

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, you can test the idea

Yes, you can test the idea that the axle is too long for the dropout widths wtih a washer, if you want.

MagneO

The washers did the trick.

The washers did the trick. Thanks for the tip!

Attempting to attch a photo of the "new" bike. Seat is clearly lower. Seems much easier to ride (based on a round around the block)