Sebring 2.0 2024 ride reports

CruzLike

Guru
As I review yesterday's ride at Sebring, still a little hung over and relaxing in the easy chair. I had a lot of fun and there were other times.

One of the bonus items that happen at these races is, seeing your friends. Whether it's your CB family, Strava, Zwifters. They were all there and fun to see in the flesh.

Friday afternoon, in the past, there has been a CruzBike ride. It was kind of a shake down of your bike and body after traveling, by riding the short loop. This year there was a rash of blown tires on some of the group. So the group was a little smaller that usual. Around 4pm Jeff and I got out and played in the wind while on the “new ” short loop.

I made 2 laps and Jeff made 3. The wind was howling close to 20. I optimistically expected the weather to be even better for race day.

Race day is here. A date that I have been preparing for, for the last 3 months. I've been doing a TrainerRoad program to build endurance and strength. I also rode Tuesday nights on Zwift, with the CB crew, in a racing series. And a little easy 40 mi. rides outside. One other thing that I did was training at elevation this year. I was able to train in Florida. I was completely acclimated. Check

At the start line, all the eager riders wait as the timers clock counted down to the pre-race announcements, then the race. While time went by in the calm early dawn, the mosquitos were having a rare treat of many partially clad, thin skin targets to feast on.

In contrast to the past events. This years event had staggered starts based on the category you were riding. This difference will affect my day more that I knew in the moment. Larry called the start of the event at 7:15a and the 6, 12 and 24hr drafting riders were off. Myself included.

Just after getting clipped in an settled on to the bike I assessed the group. John Schlitter was out 100ft ahead of Maria and myself. I told Maria, “let's get John”. I was excited to be in the front group. In the past, all the riders start together and the faster 100 milers tend to pull away from me, riding the 12hr event. As we left the short loop and began the 36 mile loop. I was leading. Maybe not the best place to be. It was exciting. I pulled a couple of riders with me all the way into town. That leg is mostly up hill. I didn't know who's light was blinking in my rear view mirror. It was nice to hear Maria's voice call out “right turn” as we prepared for a turn. As we left town, Maria rolled by and told me to take a rest, and Maria took a 4 mile pull. John was the other rider in our group. We rode together the rest of the lap. All of us taking turns pulling.

I finished the first long lap on schedule at 1:31 about 23.9 mph. Maria dropped out of our group because she was riding on a team. John and I rode the short loop once, looking for others to ride with. We couldn't find any takers, so we started lap 2. Riding into town was a little different this time. We had 40 miles of energy out of our legs and the wind was coming alive and in our face. Half way up one of the hills John commented that we may have made a mistake by riding the long loop. The short loop is much flatter than the long loop. We shared the pulls pretty equally. It was nice to ride in the draft. You ride back there until you feel like you can go faster then the leader. You crank it up, pass the leader and start running 50 watts more to go about the same speed. I start to expect this.

Another highlight of the 2nd loop was on Arbuckle Creek road. This road can mentally wear on me. This is a 10 mile stretch of open road. Wind can be your buddy or make the road twice as long. On this lap the wind was a little cross. The first 3 miles John lead. As I passed him, he commented about a upright bike that we were chasing. He pointed forward and said he has the hammer down. This guy was probably ½ mile ahead. I get in front, crank up my extra 50 watts and start my pull. One thing I've noticed about myself, either on the road or on Zwift, I like to chase riders down. I like to see the gap shrink. It's hard to turn off. I kept the watts up and over time I watched the phantom dark rider become an orange jersey. Close to a ¼ mile away. My time pulling was over. When John rolled by, he gave me some props. He tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had the hammer down. I was in the zone and not thinking about the big picture, oops, I don't want to give anything away.

John and I both resided to finish the rest of the day on the short loop. That was nice because it gave me a chance to be near my crew and get some water and refreshments to boost my energy. By this time of day, it was 11:30, sunny and 15mph wind. I was at 74mile and 3:15hrs. The best part of the day is over. Now windy, warm and legs are wobbling a little. As I began many short loops. I had difficulty getting back in the groove. My calves were cramping. I made a few slow laps working them out and getting water and fruit from the crew. I kept plugging away even thought each lap was a little slower than the last.

The two most exciting things that happened, While passing though the pits there were many tents or canopies set up. In the high winds, I watched one, just in front of me, tumble into the road just behind me. A second later it could have been different.

The other strange thing was a nature sighting. I saw an object in the road ahead of me. It looked pretty big so I wanted to avoid it. It was a foot long turtle that was crossing the road. I'm sure he thought, Wow! that was fast. As I rolled by.

I ended the day with 127 miles. First place recumbent for the 6hr drafting. Check

This was Larry Oslund's first event. He has revived the Sebring bike ride. The new venue was well received.

This ride would not have been nearly as successful as it was without my crew. My loving wife Lisa, and Hardy and Connie Swinson, all the way from Ga., were directly supporting and cheering me on. Others in the CruzBike camp were cheering each lap.

Barefoot Biker

Great ride @CruzLike - fun catching up with you. ;-)

I haven't written a ride report in a while. The final JHOP century I recently won by two minutes (breakaway from the early breakaway, solo the last 13 miles) and I took overall fastest in the senior games in both the 10k and 5k by a large margin so, I have some fitness on the recumbent. I had just done a one hundred mile gran fondo segment race on the upright bike the weekend before this and rode essentially as a domestique (not a very good one, but I tried). I looked at the registration before the race and considered that in the new format, the hundred mile folks would not be in as large a group as years past so, I decided it would be more interesting to do the effort solo. Not long after I signed up for the non-drafting 100 mile race, my competition switched races so, I ended up alone in the event (purely through intimidation - I joke!). All I had to do was finish!

I arrived late morning and it was nice because I didn't have to worry about the temperature being cold in the morning and hot by the finish. Unfortunately, I somehow forgot entirely to eat breakfast. The forecast told me it was going to be a 15mph wind and raining. Not ideal by any stretch. I did luck out on the weather. The rain spit on me a couple times and I secretly hoped it would rain a little more to cool me down.

In years past my folks were always at the fifty mile point with two water bottles ready to swap them out. This year I came with no support, and hoped for the best (dad passed away, mom didn't want to make the trip, and bernie wanted to sleep in). Sure enough, I found the best right away in the CruzBike tent. I asked if they'd be willing to hand me some bottles and maybe a gel, and they were helping and cheering me on before I'd even started!!

I clipped in and decided to keep it pegged on 200 watts. I overshot this the first couple of laps. It's so easy to go out too strong because you feel so good and you're so excited. I did snag the KOM on my second loop at 26mph. I was monitoring my pace and at the 25 mile mark, I was certain it would not be a record pace for me. I was at 202 watts with an average speed of 25.5mph. The wind was also shifting to the north and getting stronger over time. On a loop, zero wind is always fastest, but with the wind, it's better to go a little harder into the wind and rest up a bit in the tail wind. I set 215 watts into the wind and 185 watts down wind. Even with that, I was three gears up and down. I hit 31mph down wind (mind blowing for so little power) and I just wasn't recuperating long enough. It felt like micro-intervals.

After one hour, I was ready for my next bottle. I didn't need another bottle. I already had another on board, but I decided it would be good to take it because we hadn't practiced a hand-off before. I slowed down - you know - to about 20mph and that bottle was held still in the air. I sat up and pulled my arm back as fast as I could to slow it down. My hand slammed into it and it went flying across the road. I kept going. I'd get another chance next lap. This time I brought the speed down a bit more and the bottle was in motion as I grabbed it - success!! It was even chilled in ice. That felt great, lifted my spirits and I was ready for three more hours.

I am definitely motivated by the chase. If there is a wheel in front of me, I have a hard time letting it go so, as the miles ticked by, I struggled a bit to find the motivation. My best ever pace is 26mph, but with the conditions I was half a mile per hour short even though I was spending a bit more power and the power was not smooth. At mile 65 I decided to throw in the towel. I needed to finish and it was unclear to me if I could even sustain the pace let alone pick it up at the end. I was definitely not feeling like I had a plethora of extra energy. Rather than risk cramping up I decided to slow down and socialize a bit. So many great athletes on course. One hundred miles is a long way, but I know what lies beyond and it is an order of magnitude harder.

To this point, no one had passed me which makes sense. Everyone else was planning to go further than me. When I slowed down, one person passed me. I decided I could at least maintain the pace of rest of the racers out there and I wasn't going to let anyone else go by. Motivation restored! Around mile 80 after I caught the final bottle and slammed a gel I felt like I was getting a second wind so, I picked up the pace a bit. This was short lived. I had to back it down again as I was feeling slightly over heated, a little low on fuel.

I was watching the miles tick down and calculating in my head what my finishing time would be. It's a bit like counting sheep, all that math, but it was passing the time and the end was in sight. Then, I got my next curveball. Front tire puncture at mile 97! Luckily, it was within walking distance of the start/finish so, I just walked back and sat down in the shade and drank another bottle while considering what to do. I didn't even have a flat repair kit on the bike. I always figure a flat is just the end of my race, but if you're the only one in the race, a DNF is not a win!

Jim Parker had already finished his race and offered for me to jump on his Vendetta to finish the last 3 miles. This saved me from having to become a mechanic. He's an inch or two taller than me and offered to adjust it, but I said no. It's only 3 miles. I scooted forward on the seat a bit. It actually felt really good to switch bikes. His handlebar setup offered me options I don't have on my bike and it was covered in soft grip tape. I run with literally zero grip tape, hands on the hoods all the way, which is fine for shorter distances, but well before the hundred mile mark, your hands feel like they might cramp before your legs! There were a few other differences too. I could see the road better because his position has his feet a little lower and the bike sits a bit higher. The rotor rings made the pedaling feel different and the spacing between gears was much higher. I think it was a climbing cassette, but the most important thing was how it handled in the cross wind. It felt straight as an arrow and so much easier to ride. A big part of that is rim selection. I was running 80mm plus a disc which was probably fine at the start, but I sure did appreciate the shallower depth at the end. I crossed the finish on his bike and threw my fist in the air - job done!

It's probably the happiest I've ever been to have a flat. If that had happened while I was on record pace or with competition a few minutes behind, it would have been devastating, but as it was, it was just a welcome break and a chance to change things up. I ended up with a time of 4hr 40min 16sec - respectable, but next year, I hope to see some of you take up the challenge and crush that time.

Overall, I really liked the new format. It was well organized and safer than ever before and it was great to catch up with friends and celebrate all of the accomplishments!

Last edited:
What was the dominant pedal platform for cruzbikers at this event?
From the photos I've seen, road-style dominates.

From Larry: "Here is the link to the Google Shared Photo Album where you can see all the photos taken by Sergio. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQveE9ZfTcvjvMyz9
Please contact Sergio to order prints enlarged on board and framed. Please also upload your photos when you are able. Thanks."

I would recommend Look's Keo Blade for superior aerodynamics and light weight.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
2024 Bike Sebring is a wrap - and it was great in so many ways!

The full event saw 54 riders from 5 countries.

Special data for my Cruzbike and recumbent friends. Of the 54 riders, 14 of them rode a recumbent! Highest bent % I have ever seen in an event in the USA.
Cruzbike riders all on V20s (10 of them!)

• Jim and Maria Parker
  • John and Laura John Crawford
  • Ken Holzhausen
  • Kyle Larson
  • Robert Huiest
  • Doug Haluza
  • David Lalejini
  • Jeff Rick Moore

The weather forecast up to the night before was predicting possible thunderstorms during most of the daytime hours. This produced much conjecture as to how the event day would play out! However, the front moved through with much force the night before and we were greeted with a beautiful partly cloudy day in the low 60’s (F) and high about 80. Wind was minimal but got brisker in the 10-15 mph range during mid-day. It slowed down to a steady 5-7 mph at night.. The nighttime riding was beautifully lit by a near full moon with temps in the 60s!

The “main” day course was the 36-mile long loop that incorporated the beginning and end of the “original” Century from years ago, plus a lap through the 3.7 mile Duane Palmer Blvd neighborhood circle in the Spring Lake subdivision. Because of the forecasted thunder showers and possible dangerous conditions I gave the OK for riders to complete one “long-loop” then divert to the short course if necessary. Most riders in the 12-hour event made that choice, but many riders in the 24-hour event stayed on the long course, which was definitely a little harder due to the terrain and longer head-winds.

The 3.7 Mile Duane Palmer Blvd continuous loop in Spring Lake neighborhood stole the show. The course was delightfully flat, with wonderful road surfaces, and equally wonderful residents who welcomed the riders with nothing but pleasantness! They are eager to see us all back again next year!

Kudos to all the participants - When I went to clean up the start-finish and pit-stop areas at 12 noon - I could not even tell we had been there. THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH for cleaning your area!

The full results can be seen here: https://www.secondwindtiming.com/result-page/?id=277188

Overall Male 6-hour - Drafting (4 riders - 1R,3U)
M - Recumbent Holzhausen, Ken 127.50 miles
F - Upright Petrillo, Kathy 110.00 miles
*M - Upright Hack, James 51.80 miles (Self-Supported)

Overall Male 6-hour - Non-Drafting (4 riders- 1R,1T,2U riders)
M - Upright Reisfield, Gary 112.76 miles
M - Recumbent Parker, James 102.60 miles
Mixed - Tandem Lawyer, Jim & April Riegle 54.50 miles

Overall 12 Hour Drafting (7 riders - 5R,2U)
F-2x Team - Recumbent Maria Parker & Laura Crawford 274 miles
M - Recumbent Schlitter, John 243.23 miles
M - Upright Zamboni, Valerio 198.50 miles
*M - Upright Eddlemon, Gerald 147.46 miles (*Self Supported)

Overall 12 Hour Non-Drafting (8 riders - 1R,7U)
M - Recumbent Huiest, Robert 212.60 miles
M - Upright Toner, Jimmy 245.84 miles
F - Upright Obermeyer, Kari 232.10 miles

Overall 24 Hour Drafting (5 riders, 5U)
M - Upright Murray, Eric 311.50 miles

Overall 24 Hour Non-Drafting (24 riders, 1E,4R, 18U)

M - Ellipticycle Brewer, Britt 294.95 miles
M - Recumbent Crawford, John 408.45 miles (RAAM qualified)
*M - Recumbent Brownlow, Dominic 389.90 miles (*Self-Supported)

M - Upright Rupinski, Marek 479.64 miles (RAAM qualified)
F - Upright Summers, Kristie 396.50 miles
*M - Upright Reeves, Marshall 362.13 miles (*Self-Supported)
*F - Upright Sharpe, Elizabeth 119.10 miles (*Self-Supported)

Century
M - recumbent Larsen, Kyle 4:40:16.00

My Personal Highlights and Kudos (These were hard to pick as everyone was amazing):
  • Longtime Ultracyclist and friends to all - John and Nancy Guth (although not riding this year) were there to sign-in all the 24-hour riders and stayed on course for the entire event greeting everyone and providing encouragement all the time
  • Seeing Britt Brewer ride on an Elliptigo for 24-hours (and 294.95 miles) - all after driving here from Arizona!
  • Watching 78 year-old Gerry Eddleman take the top honors 12-hour drafting category in the Self-Supported category! The guy is unstoppable!
  • Witnessing the amazing female team of Maria Parker & Laura Crawford on Cruzbike V20C’s riding a combined 274 miles!

Thanks to all these wonderful people who helped make Sebring happen:
  • Joe DeCerbo, the District Manager of the Spring Lake Improvement District for helping me secure this wonderful Venue
  • The Rotary Club (and Mark Andrews) for starting this event and passing it onto me
  • Jerry and Gail Melendy (owners of local Coker Fuel) for hosting me during this event and earlier times when I came to map out the new course.
  • Robert Huiest, Andrew Clayton, Ken and Lisa Holzhouser, Laura and John Crawford, John and Nancy Guth, and Mary Savage who all helped with registration, Awards, and clean-up.
  • Josh of 2nd Wind Timing for keeping all the laps and timing straight.
  • Sergio Ruiz - A professional photographer who just happened to be around and took amazing photos of the event for us!
  • Last but not Least - “EVERYONE OF ONE” who came as a rider or crew - It was great to see old friends, and make new ones! I hope to see you all next year!

Here is the link to the Google Shared Photo Album where you can see all the photos taken by Sergio. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQveE9ZfTcvjvMyz9

Please contact Sergio to order prints enlarged on board and framed. Please also upload your photos when you are able. Thanks.

SPECIAL NOTE:
2024 Calvins Challenge is also scheduled this year on May 18-19 in Springfield, OH. Same Venue and courses as were made famous in 2016 and earlier, with a new special 26 mile loop for 24-hour riders. Here is the link for full info and registration: https://www.bikereg.com/calvins-challenge-2024
Here are some of my favorite photos!
ppsq3-N0iJGP88LQVs3bWK86vVYgJZNwcDU75WSX6IbXFBs94IE2MDxOD9gFxDwO6KAPv_4VNNrr-beEtr4ZX5RJnf2lrXFJU-2Afxzc66o2-VJ14Xe4t3UlgVmogsPVb5r0pyLraZ3kkN4Bjh0hbf0

YJ7Xj6MaS2FZbE3aQOyzpaG9UuZHqwlzHWxCG98U3xrTuAxHvaxGR679zwSCz6qIrU8cp-VIPgeQrCFEwKBPwLppZg20_SOpDjelMAPcug5GFl5Y5bddxwcTWtJGj8mb2eXL8NvupMpFnQxZnQ-Rn2c

n1581EA7nSvZiTSI1ynUp8uyOecsPKPZrKq8NVGG-JaKh1CrrScA3I85nmlLqLpygnhFUDFeJMj0kN9vrGhfarEhHJ9KVAX56MMY5ae31GirUFEgjpOsSLrMPvtyH_RbuzSEsvAfRHmvMiiqHaHnRig
V_Rt75SjRVOzwhKutk7N_I_0g9H67vVSLc62jBJJBogQZg93YtuoafmZgF04y9qW6ALEAwP9pjqsRf8sFrta9w2Wd15XMYTgVNNg-sWE5A-5f-fC1sRzWMRH5DL-v4dC6ailDvVo_7LcFOpkmkHWobI
fyxWMxV3_upv1Ul6UVB5NscLte5SORbnA6ww8tduC3nrVY9UcH2hC2wVoFDQ7D90zcztQpoA-jAl0QR_9lvZ_sIHGmpTEv0q0_d-vr8Vx29cM1pWL-TCNd9COubb9SmjTZMh4ksJdNNrG-y2VHB3mSY
P2_K4BHUGW6FVHMgJDPWPqhYqWxR9iV44sSk_2M2Hsk74IZ54-oQ_r_y9uhAVn7pJDOo23SAJLzV2-MXBOtr7gff5-3sdPU8BHeq6qSKKDXsU3hztFOJBJab3RrNs6FpbhTnWkmMLpmghRRoAD897pQ
0RWN2jUVc5xHb_fUN0JDI6U7lasnhhr5DAwyPBuEgnkiiJCCTMY_5C1mrbDTa9UrnT0ETFo29MI0NEU6l2rFjS0PdbNZ7ZpCzC5vVSTFSo2LV8rO3wqoiQw6zYZWVAumj0WTD2bO3iANAcZRva-0oXo
rQVfQvhzAERaer2y_D_tBovg8ae-q8-YKfyyDbKQ4J1L2TintEUyy20zB0xPlh_jQnD2uBERc4ae9IIpNBfbK0NxMMoygoUQH_pXUuVfN4WevN3VEc1N782Nekm99CtUgvy6A34TEyY7D75bloW9qso
XwRdl8Ozrrsn5kVWmrF3Fvq5KcSQXa6YlUbM8WjN8EONYv-NjlnHPdPQr03a8cIqSufmtTojR8DioFOTBf8nz5G3jeuM3QKgfIKj61DhbuyHPW3a4_dwHUo6dgfOEzElHXsfIAWGsd7HdXa4Whza_ls
VFDBF9wcQrwbQ4cIKLsxZ51by1dnGSUNd2_ZLO_rNmv7Vo4tDXou9ddCDtYYdL3O994Zli_D9srKM3KSk51nIDWSd_1WuNibrtmKB-Naq8EAHQm50n0E_ExPbGf3wKUqD5a_p5brP9NzUKtdRtxu3Gk

Until 2025!
Larry Oslund
Event Director 2024 Bike Sebring
828-216-7860