Setting an A5-RR1

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi all, I just got an A5 RR1 for my 2021 Q45 as well. I weigh 165lb. Should I just pump the Main side to 140 psi and the Negative side to 70 psi as a starting point? Right now it's still arctic freeze with monsoon in Seattle, so no outside testing or riding.
Thanks.

billyk

Guru
Hi all, I just got an A5 RR1 for my 2021 Q45 as well. I weigh 165lb. Should I just pump the Main side to 140 psi and the Negative side to 70 psi as a starting point? Right now it's still arctic freeze with monsoon in Seattle, so no outside testing or riding.
Thanks.
My read is that each of us has a different way we like the bike to feel. So there won’t be one “right” set of pressures. Your starting points are fine.

I like stiffer, so mine is set higher (but it’s been months and probably 1000s of miles and I can’t remember what settings I used!). I usually glance at it every now and then, and like to see the indicator o-ring about halfway down after a bumpy ride (Seattle has crappy streets).

So ride it for a while, then try it a bit stiffer, and a bit softer. This is easier if you leave the Main valve accessible. (As mentioned above, on 2019 (1st gen) Q45s you can’t have both valves exposed and pumpable at the same time … still true now?). I haven’t messed very much with the NP pressure.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
My read is that each of us has a different way we like the bike to feel. So there won’t be one “right” set of pressures. Your starting points are fine.

I like stiffer, so mine is set higher (but it’s been months and probably 1000s of miles and I can’t remember what settings I used!). I usually glance at it every now and then, and like to see the indicator o-ring about halfway down after a bumpy ride (Seattle has crappy streets).

So ride it for a while, then try it a bit stiffer, and a bit softer. This is easier if you leave the Main valve accessible. (As mentioned above, on 2019 (1st gen) Q45s you can’t have both valves exposed and pumpable at the same time … still true now?). I haven’t messed very much with the NP pressure.
I just installed the shock today. It's 422g lighter than the original. That's definitely a positive.

@billyk now I see why you have to install the shock with MP down and not able to access the nozzle unless you unscrew the bottom bolt. Without the luggage rack, it can be installed MP up, and both nozzles can be accessed. With the rack arm in the way, it has to be installed upside down. Urr!!

billyk

Guru
I just installed the shock today. It's 422g lighter than the original. That's definitely a positive.

@billyk now I see why you have to install the shock with MP down and not able to access the nozzle unless you unscrew the bottom bolt. Without the luggage rack, it can be installed MP up, and both nozzles can be accessed. With the rack arm in the way, it has to be installed upside down. Urr!!
I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter which way it’s installed. That is, there’s no “upside down”.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter which way it’s installed. That is, there’s no “upside down”.
Oh I know. I am just annoyed that the MP nozzle can't be accessed at that position without taking off the bolt. :-(