Shimano GRX dedicated gravel groupset

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
As a former roadie and gravel DF junkie I've been waiting for one of the big guys to jump into this ring as I think it offers great CB build options. With 2x10, 2x11, 1x10 and 1x11 with an available 48/31 and 46/30 crankset options (165mm) this could be the sweet spot for me. Mechanical is due out in June/July with Di2 coming in August.

RD employs Shimano's Shadow (mtb) technology and FD can now handle a 17 tooth jump between rings.

A new toy to pursue!

https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-t...ds-first-dedicated-line-of-gravel-components/

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Unfortunately the 2x option probably won't work for S40 at its current configuration because the FD's little stalk thing can only take 50t minimum. Even at 50t, it shifts marginally ok because the gap is too big. Or maybe my Sram Rival FD is too finicky. I hope the new S40 has a modified FD stalk. I would love to have the 46/30 and 11/36 combo.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I am currently running 46/36 front rings on my S40. Took a while to get it dialed in and do have to be careful with fast shifts, especially when not under load, but it now works fine.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Yeah the key words are fast and under load, usually the most inopportune time when shifting happens. I am so fed up that I just ordered a 52t ring to replace the 50t ring. I hope it will be better.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
Yeah the key words are fast and under load, usually the most inopportune time when shifting happens. I am so fed up that I just ordered a 52t ring to replace the 50t ring. I hope it will be better.

I just checked my S40 to have a first-hand look at the issue ... Ughh, pretty disappointing as I had hopes of going to a 42 or 44 tooth big ring. One of the doohickeys below may be a path to a solution to this issue:
https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/
https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/accessory/smallParts.html
Pretty egregiously spendy for such a simple bit of kit, but perhaps worth it if it lets you run the chainring you prefer.

Cheers,

-Jack
Raleigh, NC

paco1961

Zen MBB Master

Actually it is when there is no load on the chain that it has problems. Under moderate load it shifts just fine.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Actually it is when there is no load on the chain that it has problems. Under moderate load it shifts just fine.
Oh mine is the opposite. Shifts great on the repair stand or no load. When I shift in a hurry or press hard when shifting, then the chain falls off outside when shifting up to big ring.

mattwall

I have a Silvio 1.5. The front derailleur stalk on it has the same problem . A number of people have tried to bring it to Cruzbikes attention that this is a problem. I am disappointed to hear that it is still a problem on the S40.
There are threads on what people have tried to use to work around the problem.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have 2017 S40. I don't know if the new version of S40 has an improved FD stalk.

I have read/participated in other threads on the work-arounds. I guess it's now annoying enough that I am going to try the fix, which is supposedly using a 52t ring so that the gap between the FD and the ring is not too big, as opposed to a 50t ring.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Function before Fashion thoughts:
If the only issue is the vertical gap between the front derailleur and the large chainring couldn't one tape on an extension to the bottom of the front derailleur, maybe chloroplast or something that would hold a vertical flat surface just big enough to keep the chain from jumping off? My conversion kit (see my avatar) has a very old Shimano LX triple front derailleur with a wide gap because of the conversion kit setup (so that it can be adjusted to boom length) so it was having that kind of difficulty and two things helped a huge amount: I taped a small piece of chloroplast to the inside of the crank arm so that the chain could not be off at that point of the cycle or it would get pushed back towards the inside, and shifting with a push and let go movement so that I am pushing to the max and possibly stretching the limit and as soon as it grabs letting go so the shifter settles into the notch. In practice I don't wait - I just push and let go in one movement and when it doesn't grab I try again, however I am assuming newer chainrings with better shaped teeth, ramps, and the little things that grab the chain to lift it onto the chainring still existing it would be more likely to go up. A chain guard do the same thing but better because it goes around the whole chainring.

There's been an ongoing discussion on another bike forum I'm also on. Question on this for a recumbent - brakes are the dreaded H word - so if you want to go down that route, you'll need to ensure the hoses are long enough.

There has also been speculation of mix and match -abilility of this stuff between road/MTB etc, apparently mechanical system is matched to 11s road for pull ratios, not sure if the same ratio applied to the 2x10 etc, or if going down the DI2 route you can then mix/match MTB mechs with road cranks/casettes or vice versa?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
According to the Shimano rep, the new GRX set has the same pull ration as everything from 105-DA, both traditional mechanical and Di2. Lots of mix and match possibilities. I don't believe it will match with mtb group sets.

The one requirement is that you match the GRX FD with the new crankset to accommodate the wider chainline.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
On my Silvio I have XX1 cog and derailleur. I made a bar-end friction-shifter. It does not pull enough slack, so I use a Jtek Shiftmate. Genius device. When I got my Hope brakes I ordered the extra long hose version for the back.

I thought the H word was the word for the brain-bucket or skid-lid or bonce-bowl.