Shimano XT 9 speed derailleur with 40 cassete cog

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Simple question.

Will work Shimano Dura Ace 10sp bar end shifters, Shimano XT 9sp long cage rear derailleur and 10sp cassete with 40 teeth lagest cog (Shimano XT 11-36 enhanced by AbsoluteBlack 40 cog) together?

I have broken my Sram Apex right hand brifter and I am thinking about switch to bar end shifters.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Simple question.

Will work Shimano Dura Ace 10sp bar end shifters, Shimano XT 9sp long cage rear derailleur and 10sp cassete with 40 teeth lagest cog (Shimano XT 11-36 enhanced by AbsoluteBlack 40 cog) together?

I have broken my Sram Apex right hand brifter and I am thinking about switch to bar end shifters.

Depends on the knuckle and the length of you B-Bolt to control if it can get low enough to get under the cassette. About the only way to know is to mount it and try it.
Other than that, Rear Dellrailleurs are mostly limited by capaticy of the cage; the left /right travel hasn't changed much over the years; and the indexing is in the shifter.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The big cog kits used to come with a longer B-bolt. If need be, you can replace the B-bolt with one from the hardware store, I've done it before. Otherwise everything sounds good to go. I've done something similar. You can also use absolute blacks 13 tooth lock ring to eliminate the 11th tooth, instead of the 17th.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have found interesting piece of hardware JTech Shiftmate. http://www.jtekengineering.com/products/shiftmate/
It would allow me to use Shimano shifters with my Sram derailleur what works nicely.
So only dilema is: do I want bar end shifters or double-tap brifters? Double-taps are better for racing but for long unsuported rides bar ends would be more safe option.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I have found interesting piece of hardware JTech Shiftmate. http://www.jtekengineering.com/products/shiftmate/
It would allow me to use Shimano shifters with my Sram derailleur what works nicely.
So only dilema is: do I want bar end shifters or double-tap brifters? Double-taps are better for racing but for long unsuported rides bar ends would be more safe option.
I like a bar end shifter for the chainrings, and a brifter for the cogs.

Bill K

Guru
I am happy with the Sram TT-500 bar-end shifters.
I took a hard fall a while back and busted the 10-speed shifter. The indexing was completely broken but I could still shift and it still got me home.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I am happy with the Sram TT-500 bar-end shifters.
I took a hard fall a while back and busted the 10-speed shifter. The indexing was completely broken but I could still shift and it still got me home.
What brake levers do you use?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The brake levers are Sram. I cannot find the part # on the lever itself, but it looks like the S500, based on the pictures on Amazon).

Correct S500 is the standard one; but now that SRAM is going 1x you can get the Brake for the left side without a shifter in a bunch of models now if you go Joe style and mix rear brifter with front bar end.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Thank you all for your help. I have realised that buying new right hand brifter will mean less time with hex wretch and more time riding. So I just ordered one.