Shortening the steering column on Q45?

Flying Dutchman

Hi. Looking at the Q45 and the S40, I have the impression that they share most components in the front triangle. Which of course makes sense from a parts perspective for Cruzbike. But that made me wonder if anybody had tried to shorten the steering column on a Q45 to get more aerodynamic? There is currently quite a stack of spacers on the steering column so there is quite some room for shortening. How much aero benefit would you get? How much would it affect the ride, stability, handling etc? Anything else that I should consider before getting the hacksaw out? At the moment my upper legs already get quite close to the handebar, how is that avoided on the S40 (and Vendetta)? Is that by lengthening the top tube?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
These bikes do have the same front triangle

The Q45 is intended to sit much more upright, so the steerer is long in order to get the bars at the proper height for the intended seat angle for its use. The S40 is a bit more reclined so the bars much then be lower for the same... a more reclined Q45 would indeed mean the steerer likely needs to be cut down, but thew Q45 seat is not practical past a certain recline as it is too short to support the upper back...

As far as aero benefit I am not sure there would be much but I cannot say. The key would be getting the height right to make sure the bars are not laying in your lap - or - too high, as both situations result in handling that is not ideal.