Silvio 1.0 /1.5

Drew

In addition to the new TFT

In addition to the new TFT and FD bracket the seat pan is not welded to the frame and the front fork is different.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
The removable seat

The removable seat facilitates breaking the bike down to a smaller package which could be a benefit when traveling with the Silvio.

Silvion 1.0/1.5

John Tolhurst said "There is a new boom design on 1.5. which allows both taller and shorter riders to fit."

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, and it means the FD is

Yes, and it means the FD is always set at the right angle to the chainstay, On Silvio 1.0, you had to shift the FD to other mounting holes if you changed leg length by more than about 20% of the range. Silvio 1.5 also has a larger diameter slider (runs on the outside of the boom which is unchanged in diameter) for better stiffness, translates to a slightly better climbing, particularly for tall / strong riders, for whom the boom is set very long and has therefore a greater slenderness ratio. Luckily I have such a tall rider near me with a Silvio so he was able to verify. Partly due to improved fitness and strength perhaps, but he dropped the compact chainring set for the usual double after switching to a 1.5 Silvio with chainstay extention.

T.

So chain stay extension recommended?

Hi,
potential customer here.
It appears from the FAQ that Silvio accommodates people who are full grown (194cm, x-seam appr 118cm~46in)
But as I read the comments here it seems you recommend using the extension for optimal position?

Thanks
Thomas

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Silvio is sweet! But I am short and fit was a struggle

First - riding the Silvio is so freaking much fun! My
regular_smile.gif
face hurts because I've been grinning so hard for the last couple of hours.

I just checked out a used Silvio v1.0. First time on a recumbent, first time on a Cruzbike. Gorgeous bike, extremely light compared to the antique DF I am currently riding, and very, very responsive to steering input. Most would probably deem the steering twitchy but I loved the super light, super fast responsive feel.

I'm going to credit my gymnastics and diving background but I found after the first few W H O A experiences of "Where is this thing darting off to", I was able to ride in pretty good control around subdivision cul-de-sacs, straights, u-turns, slight rises, etc. and woohoo it is a lot of fun.

I wanted to buy - but I'm short and the seller and I had trouble adjusting the boom to where I could still reach the pedal at full leg extension. I am 68 inches with the running shoes I had on and 65 3/4 in bare feet. Handlebar reach and fit was fine.

We adjusted the boom as far back toward the seat as we could. The CF chain stays looked like they had the very slightest curve to them which the assembly instructions says is a no no so we eased back just a hair. This bike was fitted with The SRAM Rival groupo with165mm cranks and crankbrothers candy 1 egg beater pedals.
http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy1.php

I had to skootch forward on my butt and I'm still stretching to get my shoes on the pedal at full leg extension. The egg beaters were both helping and hurting because they stuck up beyond the bit of pedal platform which improved my reach but it also was unstable with the egg beater wanting to turn under my running shoes.

I can see where a combination of shorter cranks and perhaps additional padding behind my back might result in a just-barely acceptable fit but it is enough of a concern at this point that I did not buy it, but oh man, I wanted to. Did I tell you this thing is freaking fun?

So John, will a v1.5 fit me better with the revised boom shape? Is there some other adjustment that can be done for short folks like me? How about cranksets? Looks like 165mm is the shortest length for the SRAM Rival and Shimano Ultegra. Looks like the SRAM Force starts at 170mm. Can you get these cranksets with shorter lengths than 165mm with a special order? Is a shorter crank a wise idea?

Cough, of course if a Vendetta would fit me better....

I really like the Silvio. Can I fit comfortably or should I consider a different model?

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
1.5 has wider fit, longer and shorter

Eric,
It will indeed fit you a lot better than the Silvio 1.0. That was one of the limitations that pushed me to redesign the front triangle.
John
Silvio-Vendetta_sizing.jpg