Silvio 2.1 Maintenance Advice

I'm considering picking up a Silvio 2.1 to learn to ride a Cruzbike until I can get my hands on a V20C. Are there any unique issues to maintaining the Silvio suspension system. Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used Silvio other than normal bicycle issues?

Thanks

DocS

Guru
If the front shock won't hold air, you can place a hose clamp around it and tighten it up. You'll basically be doing away with the front suspension.
The rear should be ok, but you may need to check the elastomer to be sure it's not too brittle/breaking...

I started on a Silvio 2.0. Nice bike!

Blessings,
Rudy

Apollo

If the front shock won't hold air, you can place a hose clamp around it and tighten it up. You'll basically be doing away with the front suspension.
The rear should be ok, but you may need to check the elastomer to be sure it's not too brittle/breaking...

I started on a Silvio 2.0. Nice bike!
Is there a temporary quick fix if the elastomer needs replacing, or can the bike still be ridden?

Tuloose

Guru
Like Rudy, I started out on a Silvio 2.0 and I currently have an old 1.0, it must be at least 12 years old, and the elastomer is fine as is the front shock. I doubt you'll have much problem with the shocks on a Silvio when you find one.
One way to check the front shock would be to hook up the shock pump to see how much pressure it is holding. It should be around 150 psi. If it's much less or zero then there could be a problem

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I'm considering picking up a Silvio 2.1 to learn to ride a Cruzbike until I can get my hands on a V20C. Are there any unique issues to maintaining the Silvio suspension system. Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used Silvio other than normal bicycle issues?

Thanks
I had a Silvio 2.1+ and the rear elastomer did in fact, start to split part way on me. I contacted Robert Holler and he had a new one sent out. It was not identical to the original but I got it to fit. After some though about it, I might have tried just using some heavy duty rubber vulcanizing glue to mend it. That might have also worked. If you have good enough skills and the tools to do so, you could probably fashion a new elastomer from a rubber block. I loved my Silvio 2.1+ and had it until Larry O bought it from me for his Cruzeum. ;-)

As a side note, if you do have to replace the elastomer, you have to do so by removing the seat and fitting it through the opening from the top side. Don't try fitting it from below...that's a huge pain.

BikeGary

BTW, check the discount items for sale on the Cruzbike site. They have the high pressure suspension pump at a pretty good discount.