silvio assembly

drshuf

Hi,
I just got my silvio frame and am trying to put it together. I have to say, the assembly diagram is horrible. How hard would it be to make an actual assembly manual with step by step photos, part descriptions, labeling the part numbers in the box to correspond to those on the diagram etc. ???
Anyway, I'm putting the main stem together (don't know the right terminology) and there are two black rings that are available to go presumably on the shaft below the stem bolt. I'm just not sure if the second black ring is needed. It seems to fit together well without the thinner black ring. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Thanks
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I'd check to make sure your fork is seated properly.. Make sure the crown race is on right. As I recall, it all fit very neatly, no question about the second spacer being needed. OTOH, I've slept since I built mine... :roll:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: I'd check to make sure your fork is seated properly.. Make sure the crown race is on right. As I recall, it all fit very neatly, no question about the second spacer being needed. OTOH, I've slept since I built mine... :roll:

Mark

Oh yeah, did you remove the stubby bit of aluminum tubing stuffed in the lower half of the headtube to protect it in shipment?
IMG_0760.jpg

There is also a parts diagram and assembly instructions available to download. They're not the greatest, but you can figure it out with them.

Mark

drshuf

Mark,
I did remove the other piece of aluminum and I"m glad you explained it, couldn't figure out where it went in the assembly (it was free in the bag by the time I got the bike.
So, are you saying that both spacers should be installed or just one?
Sorry to be dense, but there is not even a blow up diagram of this part of the assemby
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: Mark,
I did remove the other piece of aluminum and I"m glad you explained it, couldn't figure out where it went in the assembly (it was free in the bag by the time I got the bike.
So, are you saying that both spacers should be installed or just one?
Sorry to be dense, but there is not even a blow up diagram of this part of the assemby
Reid
Yes, you need both. You want some space between the top ring and the top of the steer tube. That way, when you snug down the cap into the star nut, it pulls the aheadset together and where you get your adjustment. Once it's set, then you tighten down the two bolts in the stem thingy.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Reid,

Mark is correct about the headset spacers - you'll need to use both of them or the headset will not tighten correctly.

E-mail me at hardtailcruzer@yahoo.com - I have created a set of photo-illustrated instructions in a PDF that hasn't been published yet, but I can email it to you.

Thanks

nickberg

I should have read this thread before I assembled mine. I worried about the extra tube for several minutes. there is a tool that my LBS had for placing the star nut. I used a hammer and the bolt to get it in and it was crooked and not down far enough. my LBS fixed it. I called Jim on a Saturday afternoon because my LBS and I could not figure out the front derailler. I did not adjust the Telescoping front boom first so the angle was wrong and the chain was hitting the back of the derailler on the small gear in front. after the adjustment and using the lower back holes for the derailler mount it worked great. I have only had short rides so far but I like it better than my sofrider with 700c already.

nickberg

"adjusting Silvio for same angles as DF, put geek hats on!" is the subject with the discussion of front deraller angle. I mention it here if someone else has assembly questions and searches on derailler instead of derailer like me :D