Silvio Newcomer

goulven

Hi

I am an upright bike rider (Cannondale CAAD8 and Orbea Orca), interested by recumbent bikes because of lasting wrist pains and problems (right hand wrist's pisiform bone arthrosis and permanent handicaping tendinitis - even had to stop riding my bike since beginning september).

I am interested by the Silvio as it seems to be one of the only recumbent bike that would allow me to enjoy the same sensations as on my road bike (zippy accelations, fast mountain climbing and sprints).

I do a lot of mountain cyclosportives (alps..) and live outside of Paris on a rolling countryside.

I have a few questions that need answers and I will very much appreciate your feedbacks:

- about the riding technique: who can tell me among experienced Silvio riders/climbers, if the Silvio riding technique requires 2 good wrists or if I could scrape by (to give you a bit more description of my handicap : it is difficult (1)to turn my wrist, e.g; turning a key and (2) to pull or carry something with my hand as it pulls on the tendons on the pisiform bone)
I am afraid that silvio riding technique of pulling with the right hand when pushing the right pedal will be a no-no for me or if you think that might be ways around.
I would very much appreciate if you could you describe in details how your whole body inc. arms and wrists) work to go fast on long, steep (between 8 and 12%) climbs. I am keen to judge if the pull with the right arm/wrist/hand is massive and if it implies any small/big hand turning)

- I am not tall : 1,70m (5 foot 7 inches) with 81-82cm inseam (32.5 inches I believe), and I want/need to have a triple crankset (50-39-30) with a cassette 16-27. Is it still true that I am too small for that or not ?

- anybody with experiences on long hard climbs (e.g. >10kms/6 miles) with an idea of time/elevation and distance ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Pattrick

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Pattrick,

Welcome and please feel free to post any questions you might have.

I'm not a high-performance rider; I can tell you my Silvio climbs better than any other recumbent I have ridden (and there are 14 recumbents in my garage right now).

As for height issues, we've got those handled; my inseam is 28" and I am very comfortable on the Silvio.

As for your wrist concerns, I hope Jim Parker will respond as he can definately answer your questions from a medical/technical point of view. One test you might try is to pull hard on a storefront-type door with a vertical tube-type handle. If this is uncomfortable for you, Cruzbikes may not be your solution. Wrist positioning and alignment are important for long-term comfort and the Silvio will take advantage fo your arm strength as transmitted through your wrist.

I can verify on my Silvio anything you might want details on, including photos if that will help.

Best,

goulven

Hardtailcruzer wrote:
Hi Hardtail (in french it is a compliment if it comes from a lady),

Thanks for your feedback. I rebound on your proposal to more questions:

Have you had road bikes before & can you compare their climbing skills to the Silvio?
Also did you try a bachetta corsa (or a Metabike (spanish zippy HR - see previous posts of my fellow countryman Normandie-bents), if yes how whas it versus the Silvio?

Regarding the wrist problem, your picture of pulling hard on a storefront-type door with a vertical tube-type handle is a truly speaking example and it leads me to more questions - pandora-box style :

- I try to quantify the strength you mention when pulling hard : do you mean all your strength available or enough strength to open such a garage door in normal working order (not gripped, no particular blockage ?), or less
(if any of the 2 first, even without any physical problem, it would seem to be a very physical job to ride a Silvio!!!)

- Is it just pulling with no hand/wrist turning ? Is it 100% pulling and no wrist turning ? Can you quantify the % of wrist turning ? I know it is a personnal appreciation that I am asking but it will help me in my decision.

- If it does involve wrist turning, additionnal question : is the wrist turning effective during all the pulling or at the beginning/end part of the pull ? and do you also need to turn the wrist with a determinate effort or does it come by itself naturally ?

I also guess that the type of handlebar & its fit to the body is important. In your case what type of handlebar o you have ? I am sure I have seen your testimony about your position in one of the previous posts and will look for it. If not I will appreciate how you position yourself on the bike.

Patrick

PS I am not particularly a top racer on my bikes, just average for my age, but I love climbing (even when I was running I was drooling for hills and mountains and would spend all my day climbing up) and I love to think I am performant and I am definitely doing my best to be as performant on long distances as I can be. One takes its pleasure where one he can !

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I had a Bachetta Srada and I can tell you the Silvio climbs way better. No comparison.

Compared toa road bike, the climbing technique is very similar except, of course, you can't stand, per se. What I catch myself doing a lot is rocking the bike side to side. Even going so far as to slightly lift my butt off the seat; I can feel the cushion goingg side to side beneath me. Then, you can alter your position by pulling yourself forward into a crunch, closing the pedal position down and getting more power. It's a pretty crazy bike.

I do have to say, though, the wrists are involved a lot. It's certainly not weight bearing, but the static use can tire them out, just the same. I've recently begun concentrating on relaxing my grip and that helps, a lot.

The Silvio is a fun bike. It begs to be ridden and ridden fast.

Mark

goulven

Mark B wrote: I had a Bachetta Srada and I can tell you the Silvio climbs way better. No comparison.

Compared toa road bike, the climbing technique is very similar except, of course, you can't stand, per se. What I catch myself doing a lot is rocking the bike side to side. Even going so far as to slightly lift my butt off the seat; I can feel the cushion goingg side to side beneath me. Then, you can alter your position by pulling yourself forward into a crunch, closing the pedal position down and getting more power. It's a pretty crazy bike.

I do have to say, though, the wrists are involved a lot. It's certainly not weight bearing, but the static use can tire them out, just the same. I've recently begun concentrating on relaxing my grip and that helps, a lot.

The Silvio is a fun bike. It begs to be ridden and ridden fast.

Mark
Hi mark
Thanks for your feedback.
Few info back to you and more questions:
On my road-bike, I rarely get off the saddle on long climbs, only to relieve the butt and its back-muscles for a few seconds. Else, for short climbs, for fun mostly. But I see you did find an ersatz-position on the silvio.

All the same, they are a few parts of your response which I don't understand fully (english is not my mother tongue !) and I will be grateful if you can clarify :

- 'closing the pedal position down ' : do you mean pushing the top of your body down or putting more power down into the pedal with your foot and leg ? or both ?
- 'It's certainly not weight bearing' : do you mean that it is not like weight lifting and pulling in the gym room? (which I never did as I don't want to get extra weight with more bulky muscles (again, to go faster on climbs (and get more pleasure!!)) and I don't like to be confined in closed, loud-music, hot and humid places full of show-off gits (sound like discotheques, doesn't it?))
- 'but the static use can tire them out' : you do speak about the wrists, don't you? and what do you mean exactly by 'static', can you detail it ?

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but I don't want to :
- waste a 1600? investment (over 2000 bucks), I won't die if that is the case, they are more important things in life, but it would really make me shit all the same !
- more importantly, be frustated and to be left with a super bike in my arms which I like but which I cannot even ride even to go and buy my breakfast baguette and camembert!

Also, regarding your previous road bikes : what type were they (racing, touring..) ? and how did they fare compared to the silvio ? Can you describe, especially on hills and long mountain climbs ?

Finally, just to be nosy : How did you manage to land into recumbents and the Silvio, as it is very unusual in the world of cyclists all the same ?

Last question : Is Silvio from Oz ? If yes, I would be pleased to buy an Oz product as I had a great time with Australian NGO people in Africa 20 years ago !

Patrick

goulven

Mark B wrote: I had a Bachetta Srada and I can tell you the Silvio climbs way better. No comparison.

Hi mark
I forgot : from what I read, the strada is a bit of a tractor compared to a Corsa, isn't it ?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I haven't ridden a Corsa, so cannot compare to the Strada. The strada is steel, so slightly heavier. I wouldn't call it a tractor, though.

By closing the pedalling position, I mean sitting further up and closing the distance between my chest and my knees, where the power is as opposed to fully laid out. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

By weight bearing, I mean like on a road bike, where your upper body weight is supported by your hands, wrists and arms on the handlebar, like on a road bike.

By static pressure, I mean you always have a grip on the bar when climbing. Gripping anything tightly for extended periods of time can be tiring. On the Silvio, you can relax your grip when cruising, move your hands around, ride one handed, ride no handed (though I have yet to master that). But when climbing and sprinting, you do have to work the handlebar.

I had a steel Pinarello that gave up it's components for my Silvio and a Carbon Fiber Trek 5200. I say the Silvio compares favorably to both. The Trek was a good climber, but I believe I climb just as fast on the Silvio. Close, anyway. I certainly have no regrets.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: By static pressure, I mean you always have a grip on the bar when climbing. Gripping anything tightly for extended periods of time can be tiring. On the Silvio, you can relax your grip when cruising, move your hands around, ride one handed, ride no handed (though I have yet to master that). But when climbing and sprinting, you do have to work the handlebar.
No, you dont HAVE to do it, but you will get a better result if you do.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
A runner must swing his arms to keep himself in balance. That is the amount of force required on the handle bar, enough to balance the body behind the front wheel drive structure. It is not great.

If you maintain cadence, this pressure is the same uphills. If you drop the cadence, lean forward to close the body position, swing the bikeframe left-right, etc, you will develop a little more power for as long as your oxegen holds out and the pressure on your wrists will be greater. How much you do this is up to you.

Often, high repitition, low impact strength type exersize can help the body as long as you do not strain or experience pain.

Regards, John

goulven

Hi Guys

Thanks for your feedbacks. I appreciate it.

Before taking a final decision, can you come back to me regarding the use of a Triple crankset (50/39/30) with the Silvio, taking into account my size (1,72m or 5foot7inches and my inseam 82cm (32 inches).

I am confused : is it technically feasible or not ? or am I limited to a double ?

Best regards
Patrick

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
goulven wrote: Hi Guys

Before taking a final decision, can you come back to me regarding the use of a Triple crankset (50/39/30) with the Silvio, taking into account my size (1,72m or 5foot7inches and my inseam 82cm (32 inches).

I am confused : is it technically feasible or not ? or am I limited to a double ?

Best regards
Patrick

You can put a triple on it, but you need to specify the alternate boom when you place your order.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You can see my triple set up with the new booms on page 2 of Silvio.look for new booms. My x seam is 42. Jack

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
goulven wrote: Hi Guys

Best regards
Patrick

You can put a triple on it, but you need to specify the alternate boom when you place your order.

Mark

All Silvios now have the alternate boom. Triple away my friend.