Silvio v1.0 (2007) for sale western NY

Dave Larson

I bought this as a frameset in November '17 and really wanted to love it. I built it up and have put in enough miles and time to know we aren't made for each other.

Includes frame with front and rear suspension (and high-pressure suspension pump),
Dura Ace front brake,.
Ultegra rear brake.
Cane Creek brake levers.
Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters. (Shifters work in friction mode only.)
New seat cushions.
New Vittorio Kevlar belt 700x20C tires.
Microshift upper derailleur with Sugino 46 - 36 - 24, 165mm triple crank
Deore 9-speed lower derailleur with 12-32 9-speed cluster.
Includes original handlebars, cut down anatomic bars, and a set of bulls horn bars.
$1100, plus shipping, though I'd prefer delivery or pick-up in Western NY (based in Rochester, willing to drive an hour or so).

Attachments

• Silvio.JPG
    Silvio.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Serial number.jpg
    Serial number.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 169
  • crank.JPG
    crank.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 163
  • lower dr.JPG
    lower dr.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 165
  • hbars.JPG
    hbars.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 160

Dave Larson

Dave, can be articulate what you don’t like about the Silvio? Do you have other CBS that you prefer more?
Jeff, If by "other CBS" you mean "other CruzBikes," then no, I haven't ridden any others. Outside of a very brief experience a number of years ago with a Flevobike that I couldn't manage to move in a straight line at all, this is my only front drive and only MBB experience.
Regarding your question, it's a little hard to articulate. I don't actually dislike it. I started riding it in my basement, where I had enough space to lay out an oval about 45' x 17' with the option of crossing in the middle, making a figure 8. Got to where I could start and stop, do laps, and eventually clip in with both feet. I eventually figured out that my long-time habit of keeping one leg or the other extended when coasting (which made no difference on other bikes) was causing me trouble cornering. I had to consciously remember to coast with the crank arms perpendicular to the ground so that my legs interfered less with the steering process.
I did a few 10-20 mile rides and noticed that my upper arms were getting a workout, i.e. I ached for a while after these longer rides. The ride was comfortable enough, though not as laid-back as I prefer. And by that I mean both that the seating position is more upright than I like, and that the physical and mental involvement was less relaxing. I cruise, I mosey, I relax. On the Silvio, I might get to the point where I could ride intuitively, but I know that'll require a lot more miles. It also seemed that focusing on riding the Silvio made me less stable on my other bikes.
Almost none of my current collection of seat bags, frame bags, and other tool and spares carriers would fit on the Silvio, meaning investing in new and different luggage.

So, between the need to put in a lot more miles to adapt, the need to invest in new luggage, and the seeming need to choose either MBB <or> fixed BB, but not both, I'm opting to stick with what I have.

If that doesn't answer your question, try asking me a little differently and I'll try to clarify.
Dave

Jeffrey Palter

Dave
Thanks for the explanation. That for sure articulates the nuances of your relationship w the CB Silvio. Best of luck moving it on, I’m going to keep looking for a 3rd Gen Silvio. Best, Jeffrey