SKS Airspy tyre pressure monitors

Graham Mccollum

Hi all,

Anyone else tried these before? Just got some and honestly I think they are genius. I've had 2 bad crashes on the v20 from slow pictures that I haven't spotted until I'm going downhill. It's made me a bit neurotic about constantly stopping to pinch the tyres to be sure...especially before a descent.

Recumbents I find it much harder to detect low pressure as early as uprights and a front flat is far more serious on recumbents and hard to recover.

These things now give a live pressure readout plus a reliable emergency alarm all from my Garmin. It's made rides so much more relaxing. I would highly recommend for anyone else who can't stop worrying if their tyres are going to fail when going fast.

Jeffers

Performer Low Racer
Pretty slick! I heard how serious a front flat on a Cruzbike is.

So far I've recovered from flats on the low racer.
I've found other ways to crash.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Wow - those are cool - but pricey - $240 each - Too rich for my blood! :) -
I also doubt if they work very well with tubeless tires. I have noticed that the valves in my tubeless tires are the first to clog up. Eventually they get so bad I can't even pump air back into the tires.

CruzRider

I think the street price is closer to $100 (shipping from the European vendors). I do get the concern about sealant clogging …

The Quarq TyreWiz is similar and has been on the market for about 4 yrs .

rdl03

Tire inserts are another solution - they would maintain the tire shape prevent the crash even with catastrophic loss of air pressure.
If I were trying to address this problem, pretty sure that's the solution I would go with. Haven't used them, but have done a bit of reading.
The Vittoria ones even give up to 50 km of "running flat".